Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inprimer Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 06:00 PM
    When replacing a load center do you need to add a ground bar
    When installing a new load center should I add a ground bar dedicated to the grounding rod. The old box had the ground tied to the neutral in the load center and the new Square D panel does not have a dedicated ground strip.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 12, 2010, 07:28 PM

If this is the main panel then no. The grounds and neutrals share the same bar(s) in the main panel.
    Make sure the (green) bond screw is installed.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2010, 08:37 PM

INMO, there are two reasons to have a separate ground bus and I think the Sticky about grounding has some information in it.

1. Asthetics. Te wiring might look neater.
    2. In critical applications there are 2 grounds. Green and green with yellow stripe.

Signal and safety grounds: single point ground

That's effectivey what your doing when you add a ground bar to a main panel. You isolate, somewhat, the safety and protective grounds and you tidy things up a bit.

Hospitals will have orange receptacles which have an isolated ground. Outlets are typically wired with conduit.
    To get an isolated ground, the outlet would be home runned to the panel in a typical house.

Hospitals will keep signal and protective grounds on separate busses.

This isn't required in residential and hardly no one does it.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 07:57 AM
    Have you contacted the local power company to make arrangement for a higher amperage, guessing that that is why you want to up grade the panel

Also, you need to make sure you have the appropriate permit from your LAHJ.

If you do not understand the concept of "bonded" then please contact a licensed electrician to help you. Replacing main service panels can be deadly if you do not know what you are doing.

What is the exact question you are asking here?

Are you asking whether the main service panel requires the presence of a ground rod. The answer is "Yes."

Do you need a EGC (Equipment Grounding Conductor) to connect the Main Service Panel to the ground rod, also, "Yes."

If you are asking whether there needs to be a Neutral Bus Bar and Ground Bus Bar the answer is in the design of the Service Panel.

It mandated by the NEC that at the Main Service Panel (ONLY) the ground and Neutral buses are "Bonded" together.

Therefore, if the manufacturer does not include two separate bus bars one for grounds and one for neutrals then the bus bar that is provide can be used for both.

"Some" prefer the use of separate ground and neutral bus bars to provide a more aesthetic appearance to the wiring in the panel box. Not my choice but others like it.

The grounding system provided by the EGS to a Grounding Rod connection is for a completley different reason but it is required.

Jan 13, 2010, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    Most prefer the use of separate ground and neutral bus bars to provide a more aesthetic appearance to the wiring in the panel box..
    For the life of me I don't know why some folks think this is more aesthetic, and I would certainly not say "most".

I actually hate when the ground and neutrals are intentionally kept separate in a main panel because this creates a situation where whites and grounds are crossing over from side to side which really looks messy.

Jan 15, 2010, 02:31 PM

Don, you are certainly OK. I was just expressing an opinion based on my observations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ground bar and neutral bar [ 17 Answers ]

I was working on a rehab project, and the guy working on the wiring was installing both the ground wire and the neutral wire together into the ground bar or neutral bar, depending on the side of the circuit. I was always under the impression that ground wires to ground bar and neutral wires to...

Black bar in center of Panasonic plasma TV [ 1 Answers ]

We have had a 50" Panasonic Plasma flatscreen for about 18 months. Yesterday when we switched it on, it had a black bar about 2" wide extending about 2/3 down the screen, right in the center. We tried different modes, different power jacks, etc. Nothing changes it. The TV works fine except for...

Connecting Ground bar and neutral bar [ 6 Answers ]

I'm wiring an additional panel into a garage. It's connected to the Meter through a switch that switches the power between the company power and a generator. The main house panel is inside the house. I understand that the neutral and ground are connected in the "main panel" only and any subpanel...

Replacing the circuit breaker holder inside a small load center box [ 1 Answers ]

Is the 8 circuit breakers holder part that is attached to the center of the breakers metal box by two screws could be bought separately? If yes where can I buy it? The metal electrical circuit breaker box size is 8" W X 11" H and has 8 spaces for 8 circuit breakers. Thanks for your answer.

Ground bar vs. Neutral bar [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference? I understand the neutral goes on the neutral bar and the same for the ground wires but if you were to check continuity between the neutral bar and ground bar they are connected. Can you explain?

View more questions Search