Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheetah160 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 07:26 PM

Thanks for all of your help on this. I have decided to throw in the towel and call in a pro. When I tried to unscrew the switches, they did not move. Then I realized that there is a salty looking material that is slowly falling out from the seams in the exhaust piping as it leads away from the furnace. I am concerned that I have a major problem and that the switches are doing their jobs. It's a little scary that the system is only 6 years old. Thanks again.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 12, 2010, 08:09 PM
    Yep those 1/4 hex head screws can be a tuff one once in a while. These new furnaces are supposed to be professionally serviced every year but no one ever calls for service. LOL Your heat exchanger should be under warranty so that will save you big bucks for the part.
    cheetah160 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2010, 09:34 AM

Had a HVAC tech out yesterday. He said that I have a design problem with my system. Said there were 2 "deadheads" in a row, coming out of the furnace, thus restricting air-flow. He noted that the system was designed to raise the temp 30-60 degrees and he measured it running at 58, which was close to the limit switch flipping.

The tech lowered the gas flow and switched my blower from high to medium, which was not right for winter time anyway. This required a rewiring at the circuit board. He was able to lower the temperature change to 54 degrees. The system has not shut down unexpectedly since. The tech made it sound like unless I had some new duct work installed the problem may continue. It should be noted that I was not all that impressed with the tech. But he did apparently alleviate the problem for now. Cost me about $132.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 01:53 PM
    I believe it. Most furnaces are not installed properly and if you cannot see the entire install like from here using this board it would have been impossible for me to figure it out. It is a sad situation that the HVAC industry has got into over many years. I try to do my small part during my speciality classes at the university but since I keep the classes very small so each person gets hands on and personal treatment from me the number I touch every year is very small.

It seems you found a HVAC person who at least figured it out even if you were not impressed and the price you paid is cheap considering what would have been charged by others. Eventually you will have to fix the duct problem and that you might do when you eventually replace your unit since it will be cheaper to do at that time.

HINT: You can always pop a relief hole in the duct right above the furnace to help prevent overheating. This will just dump hot air in the furnace location but it is better than having it shut off from over heating.

Always remember
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Haier Furnace shuts off before reaching target temp [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, A few months ago my furnace was set to heat at 72 and before reaching the temperature, it cycled on/off three times and then shut off. I had to manually restart from the thermostat to get it going again. To fix the problem, I replaced the filter and everything seemed OK. Three...

Carrier furnace turns off intermittently. [ 5 Answers ]

We have a Carrier Weather Maker Infinity 90%+ high efficiency, two stage, NG, forced air furnace that was installed in the summer of 2000. It works great in the summer with our Puron central air unit, however every winter we have the same problem. It turns off intermittently and won't go back on...

Carrier 58SXA Gas Furnace shuts off before temp reached [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Carrier "Weathermaker" 58SXA gas furnace that has recently starting acting up. I have a programmable thermostat that lets the temperature drop at night to 18 degrees C. In the morning, at 6:15AM, the temperature is set to 21 degrees C. What is happening is that the furnace comes on as...

Furnace not reaching target temp [ 12 Answers ]

My furnace never reaches the target temperature on the thermostat. Even if I increase the temp on the thermostat, the temperature is never met. The current temp is set for 74 degrees, it was 62 this morning? The furnace is a Goodman, the thermostat is digital. I just replaced the thermostat...

Heat not kicking on until the temp dips below 64 degrees, target temp set to 72 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, This is my first time posting here, but I figured it was a good place to start for some advice. I just bought a new townhouse a few weeks ago and have been having some heating issues since moving in. The actual furnace (Goodman GMS 8045) was installed in June of '06 while the unit was...

View more questions Search