Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jovenbob Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 09:24 AM
    Baseboard heater doesn't work?
    My Baseboard heater stopped working about 1 month ago, I have a desk in front of it, abou1/2 inches away, could this be the problem? Can the hater be reset, or is it fried?
    Could you all so send the reply to, [email protected]
    Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 09:57 AM

Start by checking for power. Test at the panel to insure no breaker is popped, test at the stat and then the baseboard. Is this a 240 volt heater?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2009, 01:54 PM
    You also should read the installation and owners manual for the electric heater about clearances.

There is a high temperature limit thermal cutout device built into all electric heaters.

Dec 9, 2009, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    You also should read the installation and owners manual for the electric heater about clearances.

There is a high temperature limit thermal cutout device built into all electric heaters.
    So, can they be reset?
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2009, 08:30 AM

No, if working properly they reset themselves.

Often they fail open and stay open and need to be replaced.

Dec 9, 2009, 02:20 PM

Heater now comes on for about 1 min. then shuts off?

Dec 9, 2009, 04:48 PM

Try moving that desk away and allow more air to circulate and cool the fins, is this a new issue or did you recently move the desk close?

Dec 9, 2009, 04:58 PM

The desk is away from the heater, I think I'll just go buy another one, thanks for all your help.

Dec 9, 2009, 05:00 PM

Is there a wall mounted stat? Did you check it for power yet?

Dec 9, 2009, 05:58 PM

Yup, as I mentioned above, it will come on for a min. then shut off.

Dec 9, 2009, 06:08 PM

Your answer does not tell me what tests you have done. The stat could be the problem but we do not know if the power supply is intermittent .

Dec 9, 2009, 06:31 PM

Checked the stat, I don't have a voltmeter, but when I touched the two wires that connect to the stat, there is no spark, none of the breakers have triped

Dec 9, 2009, 06:32 PM

Get a test meter or a new heater. If we can't test the old heater then replacement or calling a electrician is your only option

Dec 9, 2009, 07:17 PM

OK, have a volt meter, tested the stat and no electricity coming to it, breakers not tripped, but flipped them anyway, still nothing,
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2009, 11:18 AM
    Then, if this is so,

Quote Originally Posted by Jovenbob View Post
    OK, have a volt meter, tested the stat and no electricity coming to it, breakers not tripped, but flipped them anyways, still nothing,
    Have you done what the very first answer you received from Ballenger asked you to check, the power at the panel?

Need to go back to square one, and start at the beginning of the circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric baseboard heater won't work [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, got a problem and hope someone could help me. I am new to these 240v electric baseboard heaters, but here's what I know so far. I bought a honeywell ct410 series double pole stat, and a marley 240v electric heater. I ran my 12-2 wire into the stat first with white and black hot...

Baseboard Heater [ 1 Answers ]

How do you hook up a wall thermostat to a 220v baseboard heater, when the 220v feed goes to the baseboard heater first?

Baseboard heater always on [ 1 Answers ]

I have a room which has three baseboard heaters controlled by one thermostat. Two of the smaller heaters did not warm at all. The remaining one heater ( the largest) is always on. The fuses were removed ( one side was extremely hot) and the heater cooled down. The thermostat single pole was...

Baseboard Heater Help! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. I have recently wired my entire house with brand new Dimplex baseboard heaters and thermostats. All of the heaters work great but the problem is the thermostats are not working correctly. The heaters turn on as soon as you move the stat dial past the lowest setting. They will...

Baseboard Heater [ 1 Answers ]

I'm wiring a 240v 1500w heater and I ran a #12 wire because the circuit is also going to double as a A/C circuit for the summer. Anyhow I followed the wiring diagram on heater and wired to a 2pole 15amp and I turned on breaker and it popped so I pulled apart the heater and looked it all over again...

View more questions Search