Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Diesel 99 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2009, 03:56 AM
    Service panel location and or re-location codes
    I just built a new addition on my home, bigger than my existing home. I want to move the service panel from the old basement to the new basement, I would like to do this using the 4/0-4/0-4/0 aluminum service wire run in conduit, it is about 45 to 55 feet. What is the code on this? Also what is the code on location of the panel? I planned on mounting it in a storage closet in the new basement, I know it can not be in a clothing closet and needs like 36" x 36" clearence.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2009, 05:46 AM
    Since your aware that a panelboard cannot be installed in a clothes closet, and needs 36 inch deep clearance in front, and 30 (thirty) inch wide, what is your question?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 6, 2009, 05:55 AM
    Diesel, there is a lot missing from your post.

How are you "moving" it? Are you extending from a main disconnect?
    Are you moving the whole service, meter and all?
    Will the run be inside the house or out?

A storage closet is fine, IF the clearances can be met and maintained. Also, besides no clothes, you cannot store "easily ignitable" material in there.
    You would be better off in a dedicated utility closet with minimal storage.

Dec 6, 2009, 06:18 AM

The meter is attatched on the old house and I plan on extending the service wire from the meter 45 to 55 feet to the new addition inside the old basement in conduit. Is this acceptable?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2009, 06:25 AM
    The issue is where is the Main Breaker. If it is at the meter, then you can extend the feeder, which should already be 4 wire.

If the Main is in the panel, the existing 3 wire feeder can be extended by mounting outside, then enter the building and end at the panel immediately inside.

The 3 wire feeder to the panel, which contains the Main Breaker, cannot run inside any distance to get to the panel. If the feeder must run inside the building any distance, check with your local inspector, as most will not allow more that 10 feet of cable, then a main Breaker will need to be added at the meter location, and the feeder to the panel will then need to be 4 wire.

See why details are so important?

Dec 6, 2009, 08:24 AM

Ok, so if I understand you correctly, I can run this wire inside if there is a main disconnect outside at the meter, which I bought a 200 amp disconnect to do this. It also has to be four wire from the disconnect to the 200 amp service panel which has another 200 amp main in it... is this correct. The wire from the meter to the existing service box is 3 wire 4/0-4/0-4/0. So I will need to install my main disconnect outside going from the meter box to the disconnect with four wire (or can it be 3 wire) and from the disconnect I can enter the house run conduit and then pull a 4 wire from the disconnect to the new panel. Is this correct? Sorry for lack of detail.

Dec 6, 2009, 05:31 PM

Did I get this correct and thanks for all the help.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2009, 07:14 PM

At the disconnect you would install the ground rods. When you realize that, you have 3 wire from the meter to the disconnect and 4 wire to the panel.

Neutral and ground connect together at the disconnect, BUT they remain separate at the panel. i.e. remove the neutral to ground bonding screws.

Neutrals to Neutrals, Grounds to Grounds.

You may need to buy a ground bar kit for the panel.

Technicly you could use a main lug panel. The 200 A breaker in the panel is not a requirement in your case, also technicly it could even be higher like a 400 A breaker.

Dec 7, 2009, 02:55 AM

Thanks for all the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Volleyball setting location codes [ 7 Answers ]

Is anyone able to explain the location set codes used in volleyball? I know that a (#1) is a high outside set, but what about all the others? Does anyone know of a web sit with a good diagram to show all these setting areas? Thanks, A new setter

Need to change panel box location in service upgrade because old one has only inches to I [ 7 Answers ]

4 electricians gave estimates to upgrade a service box from 100 to 200 amps. Only one felt that the new panel should definitely be moved because the old one is smaller and sits up against the gas meter piping on one side and the corner of the garage on the other, leaving only inches around the...

Work location is different from employer office location [ 1 Answers ]

I work for NY based company and as an IT consultant. My actual work location is at the client's office which is in NJ for the whole of 2007. I also live in NJ. Will my income be considered as income earned in NJ or NY? My employer has withheld NY taxes though I live in NJ and my work location is...

200 Sub-Panel Location [ 4 Answers ]

Is it OK to mount a 200A sub-panel in a utility closet? What are the rules related to the location for sub-panels within a single family dwelling? The main is a 400A meter main located outside attached to the garage. This is for my home in Burbank, CA. Thank you, Royce M

Location of upgraded service panel [ 2 Answers ]

I am upgrading the electrical service from 100 to 200 amps and am in question of my new desired panel location. I would like to place it on an exterior wall behind the new meter location. The power company has said my new meter location is fine. I was wondering if it is code to have the panel...

View more questions Search