Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharonp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2009, 01:46 PM
    Is a notarized paper giving up parental rights legal?
    My ex wants to give up his parental rights to our daughter. Neither of us have money for an attorney so we were wondering if it would be legal for him to sign them over by us writing it out and signing and notarizing it?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 3, 2009, 02:41 PM

Short answer.. no.

Unless someone is going to adopt and take his place he can't just sign his rights away. And you should already be in court for child support.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 3, 2009, 02:52 PM

Only a court can terminate parental rights. So anything he signs would not carry the weight of law.

What is it you are trying to accomplish here?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2009, 04:13 PM

No not at all, notorised is merely a witness, it would be the same if you just had a couple of people come in and sign that they watched you sign, no special legal status from having that done.

First most states will not even allow you to give up your rights unless adoption is going to happen.

And if he could it will have to go thought he courts.

So the issue here is why does he think he has to? He has no obligation to visit, to call or to ever see the child, so he does not have to ever use a right, so he can just go on his way with not a second thought.

My guess he has some silly idea that if he gives up his rights, he won't owe child support, ( that is not the case either except for adoption)

So sorry this will not work

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Notarized letter to eliminate parental rights [ 7 Answers ]

SO, my borther was not allowed to sign the POP at the hospita but has raised child from day one. At this time the lady now wants him to sign the POP but along with it wants him to notarize a letter saying he relinquishes all parental rights to the child. So my question is can parental rights be...

Can a signed and notarized letter giving us irrevesible parental rights work [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a daughter that is deaf mute and mentally challenged in her mid 20's. She has the mentality of a 12 or 13 year old teenager. Her mother has custody and guardianship of her. Two years ago the young lady got pregnant and had a baby girl, which the grandmother is taking care of as...

Giving up parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

I legally have custody of my 17 year old son but he lives with his dad. He doesn't go to school and they are coming down on me for it of course. I need to know how I can give up my parental right s quickly because he will be 18 soon and I know the courts are slow. His father lets him do whatever he...

Termination of Parental Rights Paper Work [ 2 Answers ]

Where would I find a copy of the Termination of Parental Rights paper work so that I can take it to Child Support? I don't remember my lawyers last name but her first name is Elizabeth It is in Jefferson County Kentucky

View more questions Search