Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pbr3232 Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Sep 23, 2009, 03:13 PM
    Mixing pex fittings and tubing
    I was wondering about mixing pex tubing and fittings.

1. Is all pex tubing compatible with all crimp rings and clamps.

2. What about the compatibility of pex fittings from different manufactures and are the fittings standard size.

3. Can you crimp Upanor tubing.

4. Standard crimping tool or manufacturers specific

A few questions but any help much appreciated.

Thank You
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 23, 2009, 03:39 PM

1. Is all pex tubing compatible with all crimp rings and clamps.

As long as you match the diameter they are all compatible

2. What about the compatibility of pex fittings from different manufactures and are the fittings standard size.

They are standard size. Can you be more specific about joining what to what

3. Can you crimp Upanor tubing.

Not sure, thought this was just another brand name for a pex tubing, I think yes in that case

4. Standard crimping tool or manufacturers specific

Standard is fine unless you are rich and want to through down $125 for a tool. If so the buy Rigid
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 23, 2009, 04:20 PM

From what I've seen, if you are using crimp rings, most every manufacturer of rings are the same thing. Fittings are basically the same. So they are all interchangeable. Now, there are certain pex pipes out there that require different fittings(rehau, wirsbo) and they do not use the crimp ring. Just make sure that the fitting and pipe you are using is meant to be secured with crimp rings, and then go with any brand you prefer. I agree with Bob, go with ridgid for best overall tool, but unless you are going to be doing tons of work with it, just get a simple cheap one, it will work just as good. You may even be able to rent the tool from a plumbing supply store.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pex Fittings (shark bite fittings?) [ 6 Answers ]

Tom, Great advice I have been reading your responses and amazed with your plumbing experience! My question is that I used a 1/2 pex/sharkbite fitting to come off the copper supplies for a new shower, how do you feel about pex/sharkbite fittings? Its been in for about 8 months now, no problems.

Fitting vinyl tubing over metal tubing [ 22 Answers ]

Please help me! I am looking for any and all advice on how to create a clear, rubbery coating of roughly 1/4" thick, around a 38" long piece of curved 1.5"OD aluminum tubing. The coating needs to be firm holding, and not slip at all; nor can it be clouded with glue or something. Nice and clear is...

Braided PVC tubing and brass insert fittings [ 5 Answers ]

In the process of replacing a pressure tank on a well water system I have to make up some new connections using 1" ID and 3/4" ID braided PVC tubing and brass insert fittings with pipe clamps. What is the best way to get the inserts into the tubing? Would the heat from a hair dryer be helpful? ...

Pex Tubing [ 2 Answers ]

What size Pex tubing is best for bathroom plumbing?

Pex tubing [ 1 Answers ]

I am running pex tubing in a bathroom I am building in my basement. Can the pex run flush with the 2x4's or do I need some kind of spacer so it is not laying flat on the wood? Also what kind of bends can the tubing stand?

View more questions Search