Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Andrew1971 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2009, 04:25 PM
    Repairing a small wet patch in gyprock ceiling
    Hi, After a recent severe storm we got a small wet patch in the bedroom ceiling. (I have been up in the roof and cannot identify the leaking area). The damp patch was is about 20cm long and 5cm wide. What do you recommend I do

a) How do I find where leak came from?
    b) Shat is best way to fix repair the patch that was wet

:) Thanks, Andrew
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 04:50 PM

Could be your roof needs doing, all over. So get a quote and get the whole mess cleaned up at once.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2009, 04:54 PM

Water is hard to chase down.

I would like to know is how far from the edge of the roof or any nearby pipes.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2009, 06:20 PM

Don't repair patch until you repair the roof.

Check any flashed protrusions in roof.
    Check for any blown off shingles or cracked edges where it would have lifted on the wind and exposed a nail in the shingle below it.
    Is very difficult to find leaks.
    Check and try to see if any shingle has broken its seal which is about an 1" or so up each layer of shingle the one that may look fine now but lifts in wind. Run hose from the bottom of the roof to top. Run hose around all flashed areas on roof.
    Is there a crawl space above the ceilings that you can get into and look above that bathroom if so get up there. Getting into that area is the best way to chase down a leak in a roof

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    dr drywall Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2009, 12:24 AM
    You have to find where that leak is. Is it only when it rains? If no then it will slowly get worse. If you need advice how to fix gyprock or drywall then let me know I will explain it easily for you!
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 05:31 PM

If u can get into attic, check rafters for water stains. Leak will be will be at a location higher up on roof.

I agree with 21boat. Run a water test on roof with someone watching inside. Will have to run water about 5 minutes before moving closer to ridge.

Good luck

Chuck
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 06:07 PM

Hi crehands I believe dr drywall answered an old post and re activated this thread. The thread is 7 months old

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Red patch under eye [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I just wake up this morning with a red patch under my left eye? This is the third time this happened to me, after 2 or 3 days is gone. Any ideas? Thanks

Small inchworm like larva? Found on ceiling in Tampa FL [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I found 2 dozen white 1/2 inch long inchworm like larva on my ceiling in my Tampa Bay Florida home. What are these things? How do I get rid of them... will they harm me, home, or pets? Help?

Repairing laundry room ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

I need to repair a 1 foot by 2 foot section of ceiling that is water damaged and moldy. I am not very handy so I need something as simple and detailed as possible.

Repairing ceiling cracks [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 3-level house and on the middle level I am getting hairline cracks in the ceiling just in the kitchen and was wondering what the easiest way to fix them myself would be. It is a drywall ceiling and we just moved into the house. It is only 7 years old and I have no clue whether this is...

Repairing a ceiling fan light pull chain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all I need to replace the pull switch for the light for my ceiling fan. I have the part and took off the the cover to get at the part that holds the bulb where the wires are supposed to connect. The problem is that one of the old wires is no longer connected and I can't tell where I should...

View more questions Search