Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Aug 3, 2009, 09:45 AM
    Insulation Sizes
    I am going to hang new drywall in my kitchen. One of the walls is on the perimeter of the house so I figured I should re-insulate as well. I was recommended to get at least R-18 insulation given where I live. I'm looking at wall insulation sizes and I keep seeing 15 inches wide, but if studs are 16 inches apart, wouldn't this be too small? I never installed insulation before, but I would think it has to be in there pretty snug to be effective. Also, I'm not exactly sure how to determine how thick the insulation should be. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as determining a size? Thanks.
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Aug 3, 2009, 09:56 AM

The wall studs are typically spaced 16" on center, which means it is 16" from the center of one stud to the adjacent stud. Insulation is sized to fit this space so the 15" width would work fine. Check with the local building inspector's office and ask what R value insulation is required by code. You may be limited by the depth of the wall. Is the wall framed with 2x4's or 2x6's?

Aug 3, 2009, 10:15 AM
    Thanks, I should have realized that. I haven't taken down the walls yet, so I am not sure what size the wall is framed with, does this affect what size insulation to use?
    epawls Posts: 103, Reputation: 16

Aug 3, 2009, 10:31 AM
    It sure does. You could go with a higher rated insulation for a thicker wall... like R-32... although more expensive, it is superior to R-18 for the simple fact that it is thicker. If it is a standard 2X4 wall, R-18 is what you would want to use.

Don't forget to seal the bottom of the wall well so the insulation doesn't get wet in the kitchen... wet insulation takes a long time to dry and becomes very heavy... more often than not, wet insulation needs to be replaced.

Try using green board for the walls (if you are using gypsum)... that cuts down on water damage. Also, if you are trimming the base of the wall, try plastic trim and caulk it with both a top and a bottom bead as well as in any corners.

Aug 3, 2009, 11:15 AM

Solid advice from epawls: just remember to wear long sleeves, gloves, eye protection and a mask when you handle the insulation. Even minimal contact with fiberglass can cause problems. Better safe than sorry...

Aug 3, 2009, 01:54 PM
    Yea never can be too careful. The wall isn't near any water sources in the kitchen, do you still think I should use the green board?
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Aug 3, 2009, 10:01 PM

Regular drywall will be fine in the kitchen.
    GOOD LUCK,AC

Aug 4, 2009, 05:00 AM

AC is right, regular drywall should be OK. If you are only taking down a part of the wall, make sure you get the same thickness for the drywall you are hanging...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New insulation over old atic insulation [ 1 Answers ]

Presently there are three layers of aluminum with air spaces. Can I put bats directly over this insulation and what do I have to be concerned about.

Wire sizes [ 4 Answers ]

I recently ran 12-3 wire off a 15 amp breaker as a main feed for my 2nd floor, only problem is it connects to 14-3 at the closest junction box to spread out to all the other connections on the 2nd floor. Is this okay? Also I prob. Only had to run 12-2 anyway as there is no other connection between...

I-Beam Sizes [ 3 Answers ]

What is the recommended I-beam size for lifting 5 tons (10,000lbs) having a 40' span?

Tip sizes [ 1 Answers ]

Which tip size should you use for sanding sealer?

Drain pipe sizes and venting sizes [ 4 Answers ]

1.) What dia. Drain pipe is used for the shower/tub? 2" ? Is that ID or OD? 2.) What dia vent pipe is for the shower/tub? 2"? 3.) I'm going to put a vent in for the shower/tub in my basement. It starts at the slab then goes straight up about 7ft. And then does a 90 and then is running...

View more questions Search