Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Terra Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Oct 24, 2006, 12:46 PM
    Judgement on Credit Report
    I had a problem with my landlord a few years back. The check I wrote him bounced, and he pressed charges. I ending up having to pay fines, which I paid on time, and was told that it all would be taken off my record. I think it was called "ARD." My questions is: Why is the total amount of the fines I PAID on my Equifax credit report? It shows as a "judgement" against me and the amount, but does not show that it was paid.

If I never defaulted on any kind of payment on those fines, why is it on my credit report??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2006, 01:12 PM
    Because your landlord may have been a SOB who reported it. Worse he may have reported it erroneously. Did he ever sue you? Did you ever go to court on this? If not, then I would contact Equifax, protest the entry and demand it be corrected or removed.

What I can't understand is why someone would press charges for a bounced check. At least not without given the payor a chance to make good.
    Terra Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Oct 24, 2006, 01:34 PM
    This landlord was as scummy as they come. He wanted to evict me so that he could keep the two months security deposit he had.

Yes, I did go to distric court. And to my surprise, bouncing a check is a crime. I paid fines and did community service. The judge at the distric court did realize how much of a SOB he was. I didn't have to pay the landlord that month's rent. But there was nothing he could do about the fines because of it being a "crime."

Like I said, I paid the fines in full. I had to, it was one of the stipulations of having the judgement taken off my record. I never thought for a minute that it would be on my CREDIT record.

So if someone gets a DUI or something like that, and has to pay fines, and pays them in full on time, is that on their credit record?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2006, 03:58 PM
    Bouncing a check can be considered a crime, but most people will not prosecute if restitution is made immediately. But since he did and you went to court, then its on your record. For how long I'm not sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a judgement by a credit card [ 5 Answers ]

What does it mean when a credit card company has a judgement against you?

Credit card judgement [ 20 Answers ]

I have a few judgements against me from past due credit cards and I am trying to sell my house In NY and make a fresh start. I have every intention of paying these judgements after I get settled in my new area. I am concered that the judgements may bite me in the... when it comes time to close on...

Credit Card Judgement [ 1 Answers ]

My spouse and I recently received a "Citation".. ie judgement from prior unpaid cc dept. I live in the state of TX - as I understand the law, the court c/not place a lien on my property.. Homestead State.. This prior dept is 5yrs old and will expire off my c report in 2 yrs.. financially, we are...

Credit Card Judgement [ 6 Answers ]

What is a credit card judgement and what are my rights?

Credit card judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 credit card judgements against me and have recently filed for bankruptcy-do I need to file a motion to vacate these judgements or is it automatic with the discharge?

View more questions Search