Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jerseygrl1204 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 12:53 PM
    Deceased mother's debt
    I read on a surrogate's website that creditors going after a deceased person's debt can only make a claim against the estate no more than 9 months after the date of death. I really need to know if that is a law. I was also told by many creditors that if I send them a copy of the death certificate, they will close the claim since no one is financially responsible for her. Now, if I get a confirmation letter saying that the debt was settled and closed, by law, can they still sue the estate if any money winds up coming up in her estate?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 12, 2009, 01:00 PM

Debt's againist the estate can be filed as long as it remains open, even after 9 months.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deceased Mother's credit card debt [ 7 Answers ]

My mother recently passed away and now the credit card companies are trying to collect approx $9,000 of debt from me. She lived alone and took care of her own finances. She was not frivolous or anything. The day she passed away she had about $450 in her checking account and approx $1,000 in...

Is Mother's Trust for her children going to be used to pay off her debt w/ deceased? [ 2 Answers ]

My Mother has no other assets except her house, which she has put into a trust to be passed down to her four children. She has been diagnosed with terminal brian cancer, and can no longer work, so the kids take care of her. She has an outstanding credit bill that is stacking up quickly with the...

Deceased mother's debt [ 1 Answers ]

I have been reading that I am not responsible for the debt but any assets have to be used to pay for debt. My mother had had no will. Does the assets include the income tax return money and any money received from a state retirement plan? Also, do we have to contact creditors to tell them she is...

Deceased Mother's Credit Card Debt [ 1 Answers ]

Am I liable for my deceased mother's credit card debt? I also had an extra authorized card, but the account was hers.

View more questions Search