Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peggy alondra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2009, 12:07 PM
    What causes kleptomania in children and treatment
    What cuases kleptomania in children and what is the recomemded treatment
    Meredith1978 Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

May 8, 2009, 12:29 PM

Are you talking about clinical kleptomania or are you asking what makes children steal?
    realistic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2009, 12:33 PM

Children need to understand the difference between what is yours and mine and why they can't have it no matter how bad they want it.

Kleptomania, is like eating disorders and obsessive compulsive disorder, in that they are biologically related to depression

Is the theft done for revenge or out of anger? Does the child feel remorse or even realize what they are doing is wrong?
    Meredith1978 Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

May 8, 2009, 12:38 PM
    Kleptomania is similar to depression or any other mental disorder except on top of chemical issues within the brain or emotional trauma, it can also be triggered by head injury.

But Kleptomania is not the same as stealing. The big difference is that when a child or teenager steals something they want or something that is seen as a "prize" in their social group, even if they steal things they don't have to it is not kleptomania.

Ex. Kid goes into store and steals a candy bar but has 5 bucks in his pocket- he's not a kleptomaniac

He goes into the store and steals a can of dog food(but has no dog to feed), a clothes hanger, and a pkg of diapers (without knowing a baby who needs them) He might be a kleptomaniac.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2009, 01:09 PM

Actual Kleptomania is not common at all, so while not saying this is not the case you are thinking of, only after careful examination would this be known

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kleptomania [ 6 Answers ]

My 23 year old son steals, he has been doing this off and on since age 12, taught by my live-in boyfriend of 10 years. He, boyfriend, moved out in 2000. Thought I would rehabilitate my son, but no success. My son recently lost a very good job because they caught him stealing... cash! Then one...

Kleptomania, anxiety? What can I do. Support groups? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 13 yr old son who has had issues with taking things that were not his since he was little. 2nd- 3rd grade I just grounded him and returned stuff or bought knew to replace to classmates. I thought everything was fine. I sent him to Ecuador were we lcame from, for summer vacation to be...

Can probation officer remove you from treatment center whilyou are getting treatment [ 1 Answers ]

Can probation officer come remove you from mental facility after suicide attempts while being diagnises with bipolor disorder and receiving treatment for such denying him prescribed treatment by dr,and through you in jail for discresionary time because he basically soughtr out his own treatment...

Kleptomania, don't know what to do? [ 1 Answers ]

I am bipolar and manic depressive and take prozac. In the past these problems have caused us many financial trouble to the point we had to file bankruptcy. I used credit cards to boost my depression. I know longer do that and have no credit cards. I know find myself shoplifting. I am taking things...

Kleptomania, in young teens [ 3 Answers ]

My friends daughter has been stealing for several years. She is only 13 but acts much younger.She has an older sister and a younger brother. I want to know what disorders are associated with this type of behavior. The things she steals she usually just throws away. Some of the items are valuable...

View more questions Search