Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tattoodtwin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2009, 02:20 PM
    Infected back tooth related to stomach pain?
    First let me say, I'm a big chicken when it comes to dentists. Many bad experiences. My lower back tooth is infected again. Hard to bite down. Don't believe it's abcessed. I don't feel any swelling, but the last time it was infected, I went to a dentist and I got an antibiotic to get rid of the infection. I was supposed to go back to have it pulled... and didn't. It comes and goes, the infection under the tooth goes up and down making it hard to bite down on that side. I rinse, floss good back there etc. Trouble is, for 1-2 weeks, I've been having stomach pain. I have IBS anyway, but it's been worse. I had an abdominal/pelvic CT scan this week and showed minor diverticulosis. Doctor today gave me an anti spasm drug called Chlordiazepoxide and Clidinum, a benzo used to treat spastic colon and other intestinal problems. Since this tooth is infected again, can that infection go into my stomach and cause these problems or make my IBS worse? I'm at my wits end because I can't miss any more work. Can the tooth be making these problems? HELP!
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Mar 27, 2009, 07:18 PM

A necrotic tooth can lead to potentially FATAL conditions... usually by rapid swelling causing airway obstruction (google "Ludwigs angina", and "cavernous sinus thrombosis") If you know what is good for you you'll get that tooth pulled or get a root canal. There is a lot of research linking dental health and systemic health, but I doubt the two are related. You can get sedated, either by oral medications, inhalation (laughing gas), or intravenous sedation if you are that nervous.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2009, 06:08 PM

I totally agree with Amir. Get to the dentist and have the tooth removed ASAP. I also doubt that the infected tooth is the cause of your stomach troubles.
    anndy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2012, 03:56 PM
    Something is the cause-its not luck! I cured my IBS by getting some sick teeth pulled and the IBS just went away.
    If the cause isn't your dental infection what is it? Not that it matter-dental infections are terrible for health-pull it
    shocknawe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2012, 11:33 PM
    I agree with anndy something is causing your stomach issue and would almost bet its your teeth! I have bad teeth and ever since the teeth have went bad starting haviong stomach issues as well!
    Ken Stephens Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2012, 09:13 AM
    Teeth that get infected like this are much more trouble than they are worth. I had issues with several upper teeth for 25 years and although it was manageable, I always would get flare ups and I wondered what effect all of that had on my health. My dentist told me that if I get them pulled and get an upper denture I won't believe how much healthier I'd be, and it's not that I was in poor health anyway, mostly annoying infections here and there.

Well we got to the point where I had absolutely no choice and had to get dentures. If you've never had this done it's very hard to explain how much it sucks to have a big piece of hard plastic in your mouth all the time but I feel so damn good now without those bad teeth that it's more than worth it. I'm not talking about my mouth which is still sore and adjusting to these things, I'm talking about feeling great overall.

It's well documented that your oral health can really affect your general health, and basically if you have issues here your body is always fighting this stuff and you can't help but feel at least somewhat ill. So this is something you definitely want to take into account and weigh the health benefits of these procedures into your decision making.
    Duke_Nukem1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2013, 10:40 PM
    What's the name of or tital of the oral sedation as I'm a big wuss o needles and with I puke or feel pain

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth pain - Gallbladder pain - any relation? [ 7 Answers ]

I had a crown put on last December and I had to go back to my Dentist 3 times to file it down because it would hurt really bad when I would bite down. The dentist did not fix my problem and I just refused to go back a 4th time. I just stopped eating on with this side of my mouth. I now have...

Mouth pain originally thought was tooth related but now think its in the gums [ 3 Answers ]

I am having pain which at first I thought was in my teeth, but now I think is in my gums. It runs from the center bottom all the way to the left back of my mouth and sometimes the tip left. My dentist has done everything to dismiss me saying that I have no cavities and that if I have pain its from...

Can tooth abscess cause stomach ache or pain [ 2 Answers ]

I have an abscess tooth with draining out of my inside gum into my mouth. After having the abscess, with very little pain so I did not know it was an abscess, I started to get a stomach ache especially at night. I am going to the dentist Tuesday for a root cannel fix and re application. Does...

Hi I have had a partial hystrarectmy but I'm having stomach and back pain [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is taira I had a partial hystrarectmy but my stomach is hurting and breast are tender I need advice

Back Pain - spine related [ 2 Answers ]

I need help. I had an L4-5 fusion in 1985 that didn't fuse properly, so I am done with Western medicine, I hope. But my spine is not in good shape, and I need to try something. The discs are degenerated, arthritis, etc. quite a bit for a 52 year old. I'm trying Glucosamine HCL and MSM (2000 mg...

View more questions Search