Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frfpatty Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 11:40 PM
    Is a credit card application a contract
    Some people have told me that when you signed a credit card application you are entering in a contract.
    But after doing some research I found this:
    A copy of the alleged credit card application is not a contract. See footnote 3 in the matter of Novack v. Cities Service Oil Co. 374 A.2d 89, 149 N.J.Super. 542 (N.J.Super.Law Div. 04/07/1977)

Does anybody have more info about this ruling or an opinion?
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Mar 8, 2009, 02:59 AM
    A contract requires both parties to agree to the terms. An application is only a request to enter into a contract. Once the CC company approves your application, then you would have a contract.

The application would not be the contract. There would be a credit card agreement which spells out the terms of the "contract". Which I suspect most people don't actually read. Part of the agreement allows the CC company to amend the terms if they choose to do so. Your only option is to cancel the card.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 8, 2009, 04:00 AM

The credit card application is your request for a card ( and contract) and your agreement to accept the terms.

The card itself it sent, and the use of it, or acceptance makes the contract which are the terms and conditions of the card.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 8, 2009, 04:40 AM
    The application can be the agreement assuming it contains all the required terms to satisfy said contract.

Mar 8, 2009, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by walt17 View Post
    A contract requires both parties to agree to the terms. An application is only a request to enter into a contract. Once the CC company approves your application, then you would have a contract.

The application would not be the contract. There would be a credit card agreement which spells out the terms of the "contract". Which I suspect most people don't actually read. Part of the agreement allows the CC company to amend the terms if they choose to do so. Your only option is to cancel the card.
    According to the ruling of the court, a credit card application is not a contract. As far as the agreement, where did you signed that you are agreeing to the credit card agreement?

Did you forget about jurisprudence? Past rulings give us interpretation of the law and how to apply it.

Mar 8, 2009, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    The credit card application is your request for a card ( and contract) and your agreement to accept the terms.

The card itself it sent, and the use of it, or acceptance makes the contract which are the terms and conditions of the card.
    The court has interpreted in the ruling I am quoting that a credit card application is not a contract, So wher do you get the idea that it is a contract.

Do you have a ruling made by the supreme court that I can look at, stating the opinion that a credit card application is a contract?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued for credit card debt by law firm representing credit card company [ 7 Answers ]

Well, its happened. I have received a summons for a credit card debt by law firm. I have to go to the county court house to talk with the clerk... (not sure what will happen,never been sued before)If I don't go within 20 days, they say they will start proceedings to garnishing my wages. I do owe...

Capital One Credit Card / Another person signed application [ 3 Answers ]

I was in jail and my aunt signed the pre-approved application - invitation for a Capital One credit card (she did not have power of attorney for me). They are now suing me for the bad debt. Can I argue there is no vaild contract because they do not have my signature on the application? Someone...

Problems in not paying a Corporate credit card and also a personal credit card [ 1 Answers ]

1. We are the main share holders in a "S" corp. The corporation is not longer doing business but have an outstanding credit card balance. We are making the mim payments but will not be able any longer. What can be done to us if we stop paying. 2. We also used a personal credit card for this...

Civil summons for a credit card, but my fianc? Has never had a credit card [ 13 Answers ]

Hello! My fiancé has received a civil summons from a law firm representing Discover card. My fiancé has never had a discover card in his life. His parents hae one, but the civil summons is for him. He has never received a bill or a letter or a phone call. Apparently the card balance has been...

Credit card charge back for breach of contract [ 2 Answers ]

I am disputing charges made on my credit card for services that a consultant promised to provide but did not provide (breach of contract)... a "charge back" was requested by me, and made to the vendor from mastercard. Documentaion was sent by the vendor, and a counter response, and evidence was...

View more questions Search