Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jfaew Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2009, 01:11 PM
    Gifting money to children
    I am selling my home in AZ but will be moving to MN. I want to gift the money from the sale of the house to my children. I want to know what I need to do at the immediate sale and how much I am allowed per child for the year 2009?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 23, 2009, 01:23 PM

You can gift up to $13K in 2009 to each child without any tax consequences. If you are married, then both you and you spouse can gift $13K each, for a total of $26K to each child. And if your children are married, you could make the gift to both the child and spouse - in this way you can gift up to $52 per child & spouse each year. If you gift more than that in anuy one year, then you have to file a gift tax form. There probably would be no taxes due for such a gift at this point, but any gifts above $13K annual exclusion are counted against the lifetime exclusion for estate tax purposes.

There's nothing to do at the closing. Once you have the cash from the sale just write your children checks for the amount of the gifts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Money and Adult Children [ 9 Answers ]

In a fairly wealthy family (i.e. with a net worth in the low millions), is it more common or less common for the parents to give extra financial boosts to their offspring in early adulthood (let's say in their twenties or later)? If so, why, and in what form (i.e. trust funds, etc.)? If not, why? ...

Gifting money overseas [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning to send money from my US Account to "my" account in a foreign country (I understand that I have to file Form FBAR). Then, I am going to gift money to my mom who is living in a foreign country. 1) Am I subject to any tax in the US? 2) In case I am subject to a gift tax in the US,...

Gifting money to children w/out taxes [ 4 Answers ]

How do I gift money to my children without paying taxes?

Gifting of house [ 6 Answers ]

OK here's the question let me see if I can word this right. My sister's inlaw's want to gift her and her huband their house with them as living rights. My sister has her own home so what does this mean as they have no desire to move my sister says she is unsure what they are getting at she thinks...

Gifting Equity [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking to purchase a home that is valued in the 300K range but is only listed at 250K because the owner is looking to unload it. I am doing a Stated/Stated loan that requires 5% down and I'm unable to go that route at the moment. I spoke to the agent that us selling the house and they...

View more questions Search