Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snsju05 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2006, 12:47 PM
    A sudden change.. .
    The other night, my girlfriend of two years told me that she wanted to have a break. Now I have never had to deal with this so I am not quite sure what this means. She said she didn't love me anymore the way she did for so long and needed time to figure things out. However she did say she still wants to hang out and spend time together, just not kiss or engage in any intimate situations. Can anybody here tell me what she might want or how I could deal with this situation, because I'm very confused and do not know what to do.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2006, 01:34 PM
    Well, I have two reasons for this. The first one your not going to like but she might be cheating on you and wants to keep you around as a rock or pillar in case it doesn't work out with the other guy.

The second reason might be that when you first met her you were a different person. Maybe you were playing a game or you had a front that you put up. In two years she has come to see the real you. This is either not who she fell in love with or is confused as to who the real you is. Think back and remember if your behavior and personality has changed since you first met. If it has then she wants the first person she fell in love with. The reason she wants to hang around is she is hoping she is wrong and you will revert back to the person you were before.

Good luck brother, and know that your not alone we've all been there. Whatever the answer is you will bounce back.

Aug 6, 2006, 01:48 PM
    Well honestly I know that she wouldn't cheat on me and she's made it clear that she's never been interested in anyone else. Also we've hung out almost every night during the summer. For the past 3 months we've seen each other probably about 5 or 6 days a week. What I feel like may have happened is that we saw each other too much and maybe she just got tired of the same old routine of hanging out with each other and doing the same old thing. When we had our conversation she said that the spark that was there between us was missing. Also she just left to go away on vacation this morning so we won't see each other till the 15th. I'm hoping that while she's away she can think about everything and make up her mind. Do you think what I'm saying makes sense at all?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2006, 07:47 PM
    Well, forget the "hanging out" jazz. It sounds like she wants her cake and eat it too. If she wants out, then it's out, all the way. You move on with your life, date other women and forget all about her. At the very least, make her think you've forgotten all about her. Why should you be a "free" Saturday night date for her when she doesn't even want so much as a kiss or any "other intimate situations?" Talk about using someone! Please don't let her do it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by chuff
    Well, I have two reasons for this. The first one your not gonna like but she might be cheating on you and wants to keep you around as a rock or pillar in case it doesn't work out with the other guy.

The second reason might be that when you first met her you were a different person. Maybe you were playing a game or you had a front that you put up. In two years she has come to see the real you. This is either not who she fell in love with or is confused as to who the real you is. Think back and remember if your behavior and personality has changed since you first met. If it has then she wants the first person she fell in love with. The reason she wants to hang around is she is hoping she is wrong and you will revert back to the person you were before.

The first reason is a definite possibility. But as for the second reason, no way! Don't blame him for her own fickleness and manipulative tactics. She has to take responsibility for her own decisions and actions (or inactions, as the case may be.) If that was the case, she could have and should have said "toodle-loo, sweetheart" a long time ago.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2006, 08:07 PM
    Good. Let her go away and don't contact her at all.
    Leave her alone and concentrate on YOU!

Work on yourself. Work out what pushed her away, work out how if she comes back and wants to try that you can keep that apark.

Don't see her everyday. Make her miss you. Be a mystery. This site is littered with stories like your swhere the aprk went missing. It is up to you to keep it there.

There are ways of doing this that we can help you with later. But right now you need to LEAVE HER ALONE, Don't CONTACT HER.
    Work on yourself.

Please do this! You need some time to yourself even though you don't realise it now! It will be good for you in the long run!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 7, 2006, 04:27 AM
    Hanging out with an ex can be a heart wrenching experience. Go your own way and continue with your life and be around new people and have fun without her. Don't call or contact her period. She wants a break ,give it to her. You have other things to do, don't you? And don't go running back because she calls and changes her mind,You are not a yo-yo!
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2006, 04:32 AM
    I agree with your above posts.

I would also suggest not to 'hang' out with her just as friends.
    You will hurt more, as you will always want more, while she is happy the way she is.

Tell her you accept the fact that she wants a break and you will give her a break and that is it, a break where there will be NO contact between you, NO hanging out as friends. Give her the break, but don't give her the cake and let her eat it all.

Aug 7, 2006, 02:54 PM
    I like the advice everyone's given. Its def helped a lot. Now here's another question. She's on vacation and she said she would call. Should I answer it or just not talk to her for the whole week she's away
    Expert

Aug 7, 2006, 03:05 PM
    No contact
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2006, 04:10 PM
    "But as for the second reason, no way! Don't blame him for her own fickleness and manipulative tactics. She has to take responsibility for her own decisions and actions (or inactions, as the case may be.) If that was the case, she could have and should have said "toodle-loo, sweetheart" a long time ago."

I'm not blaming him. I'm pointing out that when people enter relationships they tend to put there best foot forward and hide part of there personalitys. As time moves forward they let there wall down and the real person starts to emerge. Maybe she fell for the guy she thought he was at the beginning of the relationship, and did not want the guy he really was. Maybe she's been holding on thinking he would return to his previous ways. I don't know that's why I asked him to think back over the course of his time with her. Only he knows if he's changed or become a different person.

"shes on vacation and she said she would call. should i answer it or just not talk to her for the whole week shes away"

I would say answer it but make the conversation really short, only 2 or 3 minutes, and then politely excuse yourself telling her your really busy and you have to attend to some other things. When she comes back from vacation DO NOT call her. Wait for her to call you. Again be short with her, and only talk for 2 or 3 minutes
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2006, 04:15 PM
    If you do decide to answer then the above advice is spot on the money. End the call yourself.
    But me personally I wouldn't answer. She asked for space and it would be hypocritical of her to call you.
    I just wouldn't answer it. You have other things to do. DO OTHER THINGS! Keep busy and work on you. Love yourself!
    Expert

Aug 7, 2006, 04:32 PM
    The whole point of no contact is to heal and grieve to get over the loss one feels when a relationship DIES. A phone call can reopen old wounds. Cast doubt and generally interrupt the healing process. One must look to do what they think I best for them.
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2006, 04:52 PM
    Tal is exactly right.
    It is often advocated on here to have no contact etc. this isn't to make the other person miss you. It might very well do that and you could end up back with them.
    The no contact should be for YOU though. To work on yourself. Help yourself. Think deep inside yoursefl and see what YOU want. It should always be done for ones self. Not as a tactic tog et someone back in my opinion. But in the long run it can actually be what brings them back!
    You need the time for YOURSELF though. It really helps you figure out some things about you that you maybe didn't realise!

Aug 7, 2006, 05:16 PM
    I'm glad I stumbled upon this website.. . its just what I needed. In regards to answering her call if she does try tonight, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a short conversation with her, because despite all this, I do miss her and want to see how things are though I will not mention anything pertaining to the relationship.
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2006, 05:29 PM
    You are setting yourself up for more pain. I've been where you are now. It doesn't help but if you are intent on talking to her then no one will convince you otherwise.
    You won't get the answers you are looking for though!
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2006, 06:44 PM
    "i suppose it wouldnt hurt to have a short convo with her, because despite all this, i do miss her and want to see how things are though i will not mention anything pertaining to the relationship."

Based on those words I have changed my answer. DO NOT talk to this woman. You are just setting yourself up for more pain. No offense but I don't think your strong enough right now to handle talking to her. I don't think it's going to do you any good. In fact it's only going to confirm to her she made the right decision. You have to heal yourself, and worry about you. Don't talk to her now or for awhile from now.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2006, 07:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuff
    "But as for the second reason, no way! Don't blame him for her own fickleness and manipulative tactics. She has to take responsibility for her own decisions and actions (or inactions, as the case may be.) If that was the case, she could have and should have said "toodle-loo, sweetheart" a long time ago."

I'm not blaming him. I'm pointing out that when people enter relationships they tend to put there best foot forward and hide part of there personalitys. As time moves forward they let there wall down and the real person starts to emerge. Maybe she fell for the guy she thought he was at the beginning of the relationship, and did not want the guy he really was. Maybe she's been holding on thinking he would return to his previous ways. I don't know that's why I asked him to think back over the course of his time with her. Only he knows if he's changed or become a different person.
    Yes but if it took her two years to realize that, if that is indeed the case, then she isn't keeping her eyes and ears open the way she should.
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2006, 07:31 PM
    "Yes but if it took her two years to realize that, if that is indeed the case, then she isn't keeping her eyes and ears open the way she should."

Agreed.
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2006, 08:19 PM
    Don't hang out with her!! Leave her be - disappear for a while.

Avoid the friend zone at all cost.

I pretty much think THERE IS ANOTHER GUY. WOmen are crafty - they can hide a new guy easy - and the old 'slinger' they always and forever WILL lie to you - to 'spre you feelings' - ughhhhhhhh!!

Women think guys think with their feelings! Ughhhh - we use logic!!

I think guys get VERY lazy in rrelationships... and are too dumb to realize until it's too late that it's ove.

Remember ALWAYS are forever guys... Girls WANT to have fun!! Make them laugh. You get stuck in old routines and your done!!

Don't talk to her dude... make her miss you - concept guys just don't get.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2006, 12:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by snsju05
    im glad i stumbled upon this website. . .its just what i needed. in regards to answering her call if she does try tonight, i suppose it wouldnt hurt to have a short convo with her, because despite all this, i do miss her and want to see how things are though i will not mention anything pertaining to the relationship.
    I really do hope you didn't have a short phone conversation with her..! :cool:
    Why would u want to know what she is up to and what fun is she having, without you... ( so u hurt yourself even more ).
    If you didn't answer then I'm sure she is asking herself - why? :confused: and she may miss you after all!!
    (which is better for you )

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sudden Violent Behaviour [ 4 Answers ]

My dog is about nine months old. He is a neutered Husky Shepherd cross. He is normally a friendly kind albeit hyper dog. Tonight however, he lunged and snapped at my fiancé for no reason. Curtis (fiance) was sitting on the couch petting Nico (the dog) when the dog lashed out with his front paws...

Sudden loss of water pressure [ 6 Answers ]

A couple of days ago I turned on the water at my kitchen sink and it came out with the usual force, but then about 10 seconds later it slowed down considerably. This continues to happen on both the cold and hot water, but I have not seen this happen at any of the other faucets in the house. ...

AC stopped cooling all of a sudden [ 10 Answers ]

My central air was cooling just fine all day. Around 5pm tonight the air coming out of the ducts wasn't cold any longer. I have a computer monitor the temps in the different rooms of the house and I noticed that all the rooms were cool (77-78) until around 5pm when the temps started climbing to 83...

Sudden change in cat's behavior [ 2 Answers ]

Several months ago I adopted a cat from the humane society - shortly after I got her - she stopped eating, so I took her to the humane society vet clinic. It turned out her bone marrow stopped producing red blood cells and she was Jaundice - and had to be put to sleep. The humane society said I...

View more questions Search