Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stephanie20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Getting married in a court house
    Hi I'm 20 years old and I'm getting married but we just want to marry in the courthouse. I live in Wisconsin in juneau county. How would I go about getting married in a courthouse. How much does it cost and what do I need? And most of all. What do I wear? Help please. Do I need an appointment we want to get married as soon as possible. Someone please help!
    Starbucks21 Posts: 282, Reputation: 23

Dec 29, 2008, 06:14 PM

Step 1 You need a marriage license

Applying for a Marriage License in Wisconsin

The you pretty much where what you want to as traditional as a pretty wedding dress or as casual as a t shirt and jeans

Most of the time go down to town hall/courthouse there is a simple ceremony and then in a few days of processing you're married

Mine was 15 minutes long... there was no wait in the town hall (small town so it was town hall but same thing)... we called the day before... I wore a nice simple white wedding dress and veil... my groom wore slacks and a tie... and neither of us could be happier
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2008, 06:17 PM

Cost of License
    What is the cost of a marriage license?

The marriage license fee is $25.00 dollars. Accepted forms of payment are cash.
    Residency Requirements
    What are the residency requirements for Wyoming?

None. You do not have to be a previous or current resident of Wyoming to obtain a marriage license that is valid statewide.
    Waiting Period
    Is there a waiting period from the application date to the date the license is issued?

No, you will receive your license immediately.
    Is there a waiting period from the date the license is issued to the date I am allowed to marry?

No, you can marry immediately after receiving your license.
    Age Requirement
    What is the minimum age a man or woman may marry?

You must be 18 years old or older to marry without parental consent. A birth certificate may be necessary to show proof of age.
    What if one or both of us is younger than 18?

If either partner is under 18, parental consent forms must be signed. You will need a certified copy of your birth certificate. If you are under 16 you can not marry without a court order.
    Blood Tests and Physical Exams
    Are blood tests and physical exams required?

No blood test or physical exam is required.
    License Expires
    How long does a marriage license remain valid once it's been issued?

Your marriage license will never expire once it's been issued.
    Divorced and Widowed Applicants
    What if one or both partners have been divorced or have had a spouse die?

If previously married, the date of divorce or date of spouse's death must be provided. Bring a certified copy of the divorce decree or death certificate. A copy of your divorce records or spouse's death certificate can be ordered online.
    How Do I Legally Change My Name?
    What's the process of legally changing my last name after marriage?

Following your wedding ceremony, you will receive a marriage certificate, which is a piece of paper proving that you are legally married. This certificate will serve as evidence of your marriage, which you'll need when you begin the process of notifying several government agencies about your name change, as well as any non-government institutions that you do business with (ie, banks, employers, credit cards, memberships, etc).

We have created a legal name change kit that you can use and complete before or after your marriage takes place. Completing all the necessary name change documentation prior to your wedding can be considerably convenient.

Dec 29, 2008, 06:20 PM

Step 1 You need a marriage license

Applying for a Marriage License in Wisconsin

The you pretty much where what you want to as traditional as a pretty wedding dress or as casual as a t shirt and jeans

Most of the time go down to town hall/courthouse there is a simple ceremony and then in a few days of processing you're married

Mine was 15 minutes long... there was no wait in the town hall (small town so it was town hall but same thing)... we called the day before... I wore a nice simple white wedding dress and veil... my groom wore slacks and a tie... and neither of us could be happier
    stephanie20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 09:47 PM

Thank u all for answering and trying to help. I think my best bet is to call tomorrow. Thanks again

Dec 29, 2008, 10:25 PM

Sorry for the double post... glitched computer
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2008, 12:21 AM

Above suggestions are all good - get a marriage license first in the county where you will be getting married. Then contact the courthouse and ask about the cost and arrangements for a courthouse wedding. You may need to have a witness present to sign the marriage certificate. As for what to wear, you can wear whatever you want but what I think is nice is if the man wears a suit - a basic business suit that he can wear in the future instead of wasting money on a tuxedo (or casual slacks and a blazer and tie) and for the woman to wear a cocktail suit (more formal suit) which can be white or ivory if you like for tradition, or a short dress (knee length or tea length) which can be any color you like. Of course, red is considered kind of tart-like so I'd avoid it, and black can be kind of morose for a wedding, and like the groom you might like to invest in a nice dress you will really enjoy wearing for a long time to other special occasions. I would skip the veil but a small hat - if you are a hat person can be kind of cute - like Jackie Kennedy - if you want a head covering, and depending on the style of your outfit, like if it's a cocktail suit, you can wear short white gloves if you like, and have a corsage or a small bouquette. At my wedding, my mother had flowers similar to a corsage pinned to her satin clutch purse, which could also be cute for a daytime bride.

Best wishes!
    steph1990 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie20 View Post
    Hi im 20 years old and im getting married but we just want to marry in the courthouse. i live in wisconsin in juneau county. how would i go about getting married in a courthouse. how much does it cost and what do i need? and most of all. what do i wear? help please. do i need an appointment we want to get married as soon as possible. someone please help!
    I am also getting married in a courthouse. I am in Alabama. What I have found out for down here was that you just have to have social security card and Drivers license. Down here for us it cost $44 for the license. You can wear whatever you want to wear! That is up to you. I will be wearing a cute dress or black pants and a cute shirt. You don't have to wear any certain thing it is all up to you. You shouldn't have to make an apponintment.

Jan 4, 2009, 03:07 PM

Well that depends really on the size of town...

It's still best to call at the very least a day before.
    chrystal2010 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2010, 01:48 PM

Like you I'm getting married at a court house. I found out it will only cost me and my fiancée 28 dollars to get a marriage license in deptford nj. Now I just have to find out how much it will cost for a person to marry us then we will get our rings and get married. I'm not sure what I'm going to wear I know my mom like me to wear a wedding dress. But I'm thinking of a short dress. Can't wait to be mrs griffith
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 26, 2010, 02:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chrystal2010 View Post
    like u im getting married at a court house. i found out it will only cost me and my fiancee 28 dollars to get a marriage license in deptford nj. now i just have to find out how much it will cost for a person to marry us then we will get our rings and get married. im not sure what im gonna wear i know my mom like me to wear a wedding dress. but im thinking of a short dress. can't wait to be mrs griffith

Why did you ask the cost of the marriage license on another thread AFTER you posted the cost on this thread? Asked and answered on your other thread.

It is foolish and dangerous to use names on an Internet site.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting married in chicago marriage court. [ 4 Answers ]

Does any one know if you have to have a witness present when getting married at the Chicago marriage court? I can't find anything online.

Married at the court house [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for tips on getting married at the Court House

How much does it cost to get married at a jackscon court house in Michigan [ 1 Answers ]

How much does it cost to get married at a jackson court

Court house weddings [ 3 Answers ]

How much will it cost me to get married in seminole county court house

How do I go about a court house wedding [ 4 Answers ]

My fiancé && I are wanting to get married soon.. && we were thinking about a court house wedding what's the things I need to do before one

View more questions Search