Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rominitausa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Married but already separated, What to do with my status?
    I been married for the last five years and recently moved out from my house. I'll start my divorce as soon I get the money to pay a lawyer but in the meantime would like to know what to do with my payroll filling status. Should I change it to "Single" even tough I'm not divorce yet? Thanks
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 06:15 PM

You can change it to single if you wish. They will take out more taxes though. You can still stay married and file married filing separately. It depends on what tax bracket you are in though. I'd stay married and file separately come tax time. Then go to single once you are totally divorced.
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Sep 22, 2008, 07:55 PM

I agree, it would be easier plus they won't take out as much money if you're filing married. Single, they take out a LOT.
    I used this site for my divorce, I could NOT afford a lawyer either but could not wait for one, a friend told me of this site and they were great: JointDivorce.com - Inexpensive Online Divorce Forms Solution
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 23, 2008, 10:33 AM
    When you file for 2008, your filing choices will be Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) or Married Filing Separately (MFS).

MFJ may get you a higehr refund, but there is the complexity of working with your soon-to-be-ex to get your share of the refund. Refunds CAN be split and sent to separate accounts using Form 8888, but many divorcing couples cannot get past the mutual animosity to get the return filed.

Filing MFS is simpler, but MAY require some coordination with your ex-spouse if there is a home mortgage involved.

Use of a tax professional may be justified here, if, for no other reason than to have an disinterested third-party to act as an intermediary between you and your ex-spouse.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Sep 27, 2008, 12:39 PM

Well, actually you should be aware that if you are divorced by Dec 31 you will in fact be regarded as not married. So if the divorce happens between now and year end, there will be no married filing jointly or married filing separately. You'll be single, or maybe head of household if you have dependents.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 29, 2008, 09:00 AM
    TTE:

Good point; should have thought to include that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file Married jointly or married separated [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know, that can I file jointly with my wife or married but separated. She is a Canadian citizen and she does not have a U.S. (SSN). She visits me Every 2 months and if I round up all her visits she has stayed with me More than 6 months, so can I claim her by applying for ITIN...

J-1 to H1B, married to J-1 filling status? [ 2 Answers ]

HI, recurent questions but I am really lost. We are a french couple arrived in the US in July 2005 on Research J1 visa. I switch to H1B visa in May 2007 while my husband stay as a J1. We've been working in the USA since July05 with occasional trip back to France. Federal taxes began to be...

Married but separated [ 3 Answers ]

I need advise on the subject of my health insurance. My wife and me are separated and right now I have health insurance for her kids do I have to keep them on my plan. Thank you Jeff

Query on Status - Married ? [ 1 Answers ]

I am on L1 visa. I reached US on Jan 21 and this is my visit to US.My wife will be joining me in some time. I want to know if can file my status as married before she joins me in US, right now I have kept my status as Single. I know people who filed as Married even though their spouse were not in...

Got married- what's my Filing Status ? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all, Below is my situation.Your advice is greatly appreciated. I hold a valid H1b Visa and was working in US from june2004. I left US on August 2'nd 2006. I got married on August 27'th 2006 and never returned back to US and my wife never visited US before. So she doesn't have a SSN. My...

View more questions Search