Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hot engine Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 11:02 AM
    Water meter and air in line
    Sometimes my water is turned off in my neighborhood. When it is back on the pressure is very hig, would air in the line and too much pressure cause the meter to read higher than norman.
    Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 17, 2008, 11:22 AM
    Your water meter simply reads what's comsumed as you make a draw. Water pressure has nothing to do with it. However, air's a different story. Under pressure air will ,indeed, register on your meter as it passes through. Regards, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 11:25 AM
    I do not see that you actually say you have air in the line so are you just asking out of curiousity? Like Tom says air can spin the meter like water in certain circumstances but do you have air and wonedr if your bill is unfairly high?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2008, 11:26 AM
    It might be time to invest in a gage that fits on a hose bib and you may have to install a pressure regulating valve in your home to avoid damaging fixtures. Pressure should be in the neighborhood of 45-55 PSI.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Faulty water meter [ 3 Answers ]

I work for a rural water office. We have a customer that had a meter reading of exactly 1,077,200 gallons usage. The 77,200 usage is not abnormal for his account. We have always been told that meters only register readings when water is forced through them. And they slow down as they get...

Water Meter [ 13 Answers ]

My water meter has been running up huge charges, and is twice - three times what it should be. Searched everywhere for leaks, but there are none. A guy told me that if we have air in the lines, this could cause our meter to false read. Now we do have air in the lines. You can hear it as it comes...

Possible Faulty Water Meter [ 1 Answers ]

My water bill usually runs between $10 and $13 a month. I've noticed an increase over the last couple of months in our water bill, but I didn't think much of it. I thought it could be due to my son playing in the yard with water toys, etc. This month I opened our bill to find it was $300. My...

320 amp meter socket line wire [ 10 Answers ]

I am installing a new service with two meter panels. One 320 amp meter socket and one 200 amp meter socket. The 320 amp is a 400 amp socket panel with a disconect (two 200 amp breakers). What size of line in from the transformer wire do I need? It's a typical 3 wire, single phase service. Does...

Where is the water going.Leak, meter? [ 3 Answers ]

I received my bi-monthly water bill recently. It stated that I had used 15,000 gallons of water. I usually use 7-8,000 gallons. None of the fixtures are leaking, no water in the house, and no swampy areas of the lawn. With all fixtures in the off position and no water being intentionally used, I...

View more questions Search