Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dstauff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 10:45 PM
    Drano in my washer's drain?
    Today, the hose for the drain popped out of the pipe and left water and a lot
    Of hair on my floor. I am worried that the hair is clogging the drain. Can I use
    Drano on the drain? Is there a chance of a backup?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 4, 2008, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dstauff
    Today, the hose for the drain popped out of the pipe and left water and a lot
    of hair on my floor. I am worried that the hair is clogging the drain. Can I use
    drano on the drain? Is there a chance of a backup?
    With washers there's always the chance of a back up. Your washer discharges hair, fiber matted with grease from the soap into your drain. You may use Draino or bleach down the washer stand pipe. Flush with a few pans of boiling water. The chemicals will break down the hair and fiber and the boiling water will melt the grease and flush the mess out into the main. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 06:41 AM
    Some people put mesh-like sleeve over the tip of the hose. It catches lint and hair preventing it form entering drain system.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 4, 2008, 07:36 AM
    A old silk stocking works just fine. Regards, tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Whay size stand pipe do you have? Current code is 2" and the 2009 code will up that to 3". If your current pipe is less than 2" I'd change it and go to 3" now. Is the stand pipe trapped, if so you might be able to open the trap and remove more hair and even get some rodding done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to remove the Kenmore potable washer's agitator [ 11 Answers ]

Hi I find it difficult to remove the agitator of my Apartment size Kenmore, When I wash my cloths it leaks and my Kitchen become flooded, so I thought of remove the machine and see where is the leak.. How ever I do not know how to remove the agitator - the model number is 110.2970092 - Thanks

Is it correct to connect the washer's drain and the bathroom drain all together? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if it's correct to connect the washer drain and the bathroom drain all together. I connected the washer's drain, the sink's drain and the bathroom's drain all together in the same line. When I started to use my washing machine, I noticed that when it was draining the water the...

Outgoing Drain Behind Vanity Cabinet Not Aligned with Sink Drain Tube in New Sinktop [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a new vanity cabinet and new marble vanity top, both slightly larger than the originals. The problem we've encountered is that the drainage pipe that will exit sink water from the sink to the house -- the PVC pipe in the house/wall -- is not aligned with the new location of the sink...

Drano Test [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone heard of the drano test myth? You mix your pee with drano and if it turns certain colors it's suppose to tell you if it's a boy or girl. You shouldn't mix it yourself because of the fumes. But it's for fun!! Does any one know what it's suppose to mean if it doesn't change a color...

Taping Into a Washer's Standpipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, just wondering if I can install an in-floor drain that taps into the standpipe drain I already use for my first-floor washing machine. The standpipe runs directly behind, then underneath the washer (underneath the floor board)--there's room enough to work under there--I checked. I want...

View more questions Search