Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nicolai404 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 11:16 PM
    CD/DVD drive doesn't read music CD's
    Well my problem started about 4 weeks ago before I went on vacation. I was going to import some CD's for my iPod. When I put in the CD the computer recognized it fine and iTunes started importing it, the first song went at about normal speed but then it just flipped through the rest of the songs. The result was that I had about 1:30 of the first song and all the other song were nothing, they weren't even showing up in the library after iTunes "imported" them.

I've tried ripping with other programs as well, same problem. The same also happens when I try to play the cd's, track one is about 1 minute long and the rest of the tracks just don't seem to be recognized as music tracks. I've tried at least 20 CD's now and I'm always getting the same problem.

For what it's worth, the problem only applies to music cds. I can play games and install programs as much as I want.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    4gigs ram
    3ghz dualcore
    Optiarc AD-7203s SCSI CD-rom

I hope someone can help me with this, I really don't want to have to go out and buy a new CD-rom
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 29, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Suggested troubleshooting strategy:
    • Confirm drive and any other devices on same cable are installed correctly - cabling, jumpers, SCSI? ID/termination/bus rate, etc.
    • Determine software or drive hardware problem by isolating drive either by:
      A) Swapping with a known good drive and remove any other devices on same cable. Can also try drive in another system.
      B) Booting up to a DOS boot disk or Windows boot menu (tap F8 repeatedly on bootup) only and inserting audio CD as most drives will auto-play audio CDs when inserted or via button sequence. If drive will play an audio CD on its own without any software control, hardware is likely good.
    • Exercise drive with diagnostic tool like Nero CD-DVD Speed.
    • Check Windows event log for drive related errors.
    • Check manufacturer's website for firmware updates or known issues.

If drive previously played audio CDs and no software changes have been made to the computer, odds are drive is faulty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CD Drive Only Reads Certain CD's. [ 8 Answers ]

My CD drive on my comp only reads certain CDs. I bought three CDs today, 2 of them were read by my drive, the third wasn't. I stick the cd in, and it just keeps spinning and spinning and spinning, with the green light flashing. Help!!

Used Music CD's [ 1 Answers ]

:) I would like to start a simple online used music CD business. Where can I find good, reasonable suppliers of music CD's? All varieties welcomed. Thanks

Cd's music stores in Miami. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I want to know the address or the web site of a specialized rock music store in Miami, Fl. I'm looking for a store in which I can find a wide variety of styles, from soft rock to the more extreme tendencies, dvd's, cd's, magazines, merchandise. Thanks, Franklin.

Drive won't read blank cd's [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, is there anyone out there that can help me? All of a sudden my drive won't recognize blank cd's when inserted. I try to burn music cd's and put a blank disc in but it keeps saying "no disc inserted". I am running Windows XP, the computer is about a year and a half old. Don't know...

Music cd's [ 1 Answers ]

When playing music that has been downloaded from the internet the volume varies greatly on some tracks. Any way to correct it so the play-back volume is constant from song to song? Thanks. noboat

View more questions Search