Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zelly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Water Pump Circuit Breaker
    When I was taking a shower at my cabin, my water shut off. I went to the circuit breaker and it had tripped. I could not get in back on initially. When I did turn it back on the pump still would not turn on. What happened? The pump is only 2 years old. Thanks, Zelly
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 21, 2008, 06:11 PM
    Hi Zelly,
    Did the pump hum and them throw the breaker out or did the breaker pop out the second you turned it on? My first guess would be shorted motor windings but if there'[s a long run from the breaker box to the pump you could have developed a short in the power line. Any more details you can give me? Regards, Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 09:05 PM
    Zell, use a voltmeter to see if you have:
    1. power at the switch which controls the pump. If so, do you then have
    2. Power at the pump itself.

SBall is entirely correct in saying you could have a short in the wire going to your pump, especially if it is buried cable. However, once the breaker is reset, you should have power at the switch. Any short should cause the breaker to trip again.

BTW, is this pump submersible or above ground?
    Pugs2003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 07:31 PM
    I have the same problem, our pump is above ground, and when we would turn water on especially taking showers and washing clothes the cricuit breaker would turn the water off, I have tried plugging it into different outlets to make sure that it is not that particular outlet, but it is not working, I do not know if the water pump hums or pops, because it is outside. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker [ 15 Answers ]

I want to know about the basic Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker

Hot water heater circuit breaker [ 4 Answers ]

I have a State Select hot water heater and the circuit breaker keeps popping I can reset it and it works for about a day, any idea what may be causing the issue

Replacing Circuit Breaker with Higher AMP Breaker [ 8 Answers ]

Excuse me, I did look at the code book as is suggested in your Sticky. The NFPA may answer this question, but I am not knowledgeable enough to recognize it: Our offices are upstairs in an older (renovated home) building with modern wiring. We have 4 computers, 3 printers, and miscellaneous with...

Circuit breaker [ 3 Answers ]

Circuit breaker will not reset

Replacing a circuit breaker with a GFI breaker- q on neutrals [ 1 Answers ]

In process on installing withquestion on neutral wires. Do you take the neutrals out of the in the main panel neutral and put them in into the breaker where its labelled "load neutral terminal" and only have the neutral "pig tail" to the panel neutral bar? Thanks!

View more questions Search