Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kriswithmany Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2008, 11:22 PM
    Installing new electrical box for vanity light?
    We are working on staging our home for sale. Part of that is replacing the "hollywood" bar lights over the mirrors in both bathrooms. In case you're wondering, they looked somewhat like this:

DIY Vanity Light Installation - a set on Flickr

After I bought the new lights, I realized that there wasn't an electrical box. My search on the internet confirms this, but I can't find how to install one. The boxes I seem to be able to find are for ceiling fixtures. I'm pretty sure I don't need to use a pancake box like the guy in the above link. But I did see that he braced the box to the nearby studs. Do I need to do this as well? Once I have the box in, I think I'll be OK. I replaced 6 ceiling lights in the house already. :)

Oh, and the house is newly painted, with holes already textured, so I'm trying to avoid making new holes as much as possible.

Thanks for your help in advance!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 11, 2008, 05:25 AM
    If the fixture is not too heavy you can just use a plastic cut-in box. These have "wings" or tabs that swing out and get tightened to the back side of the sheetrock.

May 12, 2008, 04:06 PM
    What qualifies as too heavy? I'm putting up a 5-light fixture, with individual glass shades. This one:
    3-Light Vanity Fixture

Except it has 5 lights, like I said above, instead of the 3.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 12, 2008, 05:27 PM
    THAT, in a 5-light, would be considered too heavy IMO.

I would find a stud to secure a box to then.

May 12, 2008, 05:49 PM
    Thanks! I think I might get those expanding braces, as I doubt that the stud is close. I'll have to double check. It looked like my best bet for keeping the hole small, and not having to re-texture.

Sorry about the double response. Just figuring out how things work here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing bathroom vanity dimmer switch (PICS) [ 5 Answers ]

Hello! Please see the pictures for any clarification... I have a 2 switch box in the bathroom: 1st switch controls the vanity lights-- 2nd controls the exhaust fan. Wanted to put a dimmer on the vanity lights, so replaced the light switch with a dimmer. Now, the vanity lights dim, but...

Bathroom Vanity light with electrical socket [ 4 Answers ]

The question I am about to ask was asked in 2006 and I read some answers which I found useful but I would still like to ask it again. I need to replace my bathroom vanity lighting with one that has an electrical outlet since I do not have one in my small bathroom. Do you know a place where I can...

Installing vanity light [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing vanity lights in a bathroom and the kit comes with 2 mounting plates: one level with 2 holes for screws and 2 one inch slots for screws, the 2nd is level on the 2 sides with the center inch being approx 1/2" deeper that the 2 sides. Do I need to install both the mounting plates? ...

Vanity Light [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I changed the vanity light in the bathroom. When I turned on the light I realized the breaker had tripped. I reset the breaker and all was fine for a couple days... the breaker tripped again. So I reset it and the same thing... 2 days later it tripped. I removed the light and can find...

Installing New Vanity and Need Help [ 5 Answers ]

We are remodeling our bathroom and have purchased a new vanity w/ bottom pull out drawer. The problem I now see is that the p trap portion of the drain is too low. We don't want to cut the vanity and I would like to avoid tearing the wall apart to raise the drain pipe inside the wall. Is it...

View more questions Search