Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snellie23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Wooried about our dog
    Our 6 yr. old boston terrier had a hysterectomy about 1 yr. ago. Ever since then she has had a foul smelling discharge from where her tail goes right above her anus. today she has not been herself at all today. She has a slight discharge that smell like rotten blood. She is normally happy. But today all she is acts scared and cowers by our feet. Money is tight and we cannot afford to take her to the vets. Do you have any ideas?? Please help.
    Sincerely
    Worried pet owner
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 02:40 PM
    Her anal glands need to be drained
    MrPippin Posts: 87, Reputation: 17
    -

Jun 4, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Try this page and see if it helps. It will show you how to express your dogs anal glands.The Anal Sacs Page
    Topperthedog Posts: 17, Reputation: 7

Jun 4, 2007, 03:25 PM
    You're going to have to spring for a vet visit, this isn't going to get any better on its own. Sounds like the anal glands have been infected. Very painful for the dog.

Normally you should be able to clean the anal glands yourself, but this is beyond normal.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 07:00 PM
    I left this go hoping DocWill would answer. I think you should have gotten back with the vet long before this. I am not so sure it is the anal glands.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Snellie, I am a bit confused. I just reread your post. This has been going on for a year since the surgery? Honey, I know money is tight but there is no way around this. You are going to have to spring for the vet. I am sorry but there is no other option for you. If you have to, find someone to borrow some money from. Your dog is in distress and you need to take care of her. This is not a good situation at all.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2007, 09:26 AM
    I am puzzled about the above the anus. That is not where the anal glands should be. Bump. DocWill?
    Cowgirl68 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by snellie23
    our 6 yr. old boston terrier had a hysterectomy about 1 yr. ago. ever since then she has had a foul smelling discharge from where her tail goes right above her anus., today she has not been herself at all today. she has a slight discharge that smell like rotten blood. she is normally happy. but today all she is acts scared and cowers by our feet. money is tight and we cannot afford to take her to the vets. do you have any ideas ???? please help.
    sincerly
    worried pet owner
    Odor can indicate infection. Try to find the funds to get your dog to a vet or ask them if you can make payments.
    MrPippin Posts: 87, Reputation: 17
    -

Jun 6, 2007, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I am puzzled about the above the anus. That is not where the anal glands should be.
    There should be nothing above the anus for discharge to come out of unless it is some kind of a cyst or something. The anal glands are just inside the anus and the discharge while foul smelling is from the anus.
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

Jun 6, 2007, 01:25 PM
    In order , from top to bottom, tail rectum vagina.

Several different ways to desex a dog, I prefer ovariohysterectomy witch removes everything. If everything wasn't removed there is possibility of pyometra, pyo meaning pus, and metra meaning uterus, doesn't take much to sort that one out. With a very lubed finger a simple home test and inspect inside the vagina for signs of infection, sight and smell are obvious. Low budget, any local groomer can express the anal glands and will know if infection is present. Don't know what else to tell you with out answers to where the problem lies, vaginal or rectal. Both of witch need Vet care. Records should reviel the dexing procedure. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Morgan dog - stuffed toy dog [ 19 Answers ]

I am looking for an older stuffed dog, a child's toy, that had a rubber squeaker in the nose,  We used to call it a "Morgan" dog,  it had big plactic eyes that had loose black centers,  any info on this toy would be nice.

My dog is 50 days old and is not eating Dog chow [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My dog name is scoobee, golden labarador,n is 50 days old,he became thin after vaccination ,got fever.. n when I try to feed him Dog chow he simply deny to intake... kindly suggest me... how to attract him in eating of Dog chow as it contains all the minerals and suppliments to good growing...

Dog refusing to eat dog food [ 3 Answers ]

My 8 year old German Shepard recently started refusing to eat her normal dry dog food. I'm nervous in the wake of all the pet food recalls. Her dog food is not listed on the recall list and does not contain wheat gluten. I have always let her self feed as she has always been good with how much she...

When should I feed my dog adult dog food? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a chocolat lab that just turned 1, and I'm wondering when do I stop feeding her puppy food? Omar

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

View more questions Search