Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lizlizzy2020 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2007, 11:44 AM
    Tenant- Landlord Rights
    I am currently renting an apartment in new jersey on a month to month lease from the beginning it has been a horror story. When i first rented the apartment i was so happy 1 week before i actually move in the landlord of a 2 family owner occupied building tell me he found a buyer for his home... he had mentioned it was on the market when i first saw the apartment but he said that it was on the market for months now and that it probably would not sell and that is why i considered renting the apartment. I was totally afraid to rent the apartment now knowing that i was going to have a new landlord soon. It did come sooner then expected a month after i moved in the current owner moved out and the new owners moved in. till this point i had not met them or spoken to them and the first day of the month they serve me with a notice that my rent was going to be increased by $300 dollars! I was like honestly crying because this was like my dream apartment i had permission from the last owner to paint which out of my own pocket i did and i decorated and bought furniture that would fit in the apartment making it hard for me to go to another apartment that was not adequate size as my current one but anyway i freaked and spoke to the new owners which tried to make a deal with me... :mad: which did not result an anything good because i would tell them maybe i can pay $150 dollars more which was agreed upon but then when the lease was presented they added heating cost which when i first moved in i took the apartment since it was utilities included (heat and water included) and that raised my rent from an extra $150 that i agreed on to $200 which i did not. And i had no other choice but to get up the courage to type up a 30 day notice and now its just more headaches because it seems as though the rough patches continue because my apartment is being rented out by july 1 and it is already listed in the paper and me and the landlord agreed that the apartment wouldn't be shown until i was at least packed a bit and that was not followed through! I already had two people come see the apartment and it is not even the first of june:( of course the landlord tricked me by saying that it was a family member coming to view that apartment in which i said well that’s ok i guess and when the two people showed up the landlord didn't even know them! Because i heard the landlord ask them their names and now its like ok aren't we supposed to come up with an agreement on how and when the apartment can be shown? I am like so stressed and i don't know what to do anymore first the last owner left me in the dust and now the new ones seem to take advantage what rights do i have?? :confused: please help?? ;)
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Liz honey, I am so sorry you are upset. You are on a month to month rental and you gave them 30 days notice. There is nothing legally that you can do. I really am sorry that I can't give you something legally to grab onto, but the new owners are well within their legal rights to show the apartment once you give your notice. The usual courtesy is to give the old tenant 24 hours notice when the landlord plans on showing the place. You didn't mention whether there is a written contract or not, but notice to show is usually included in the language of the contract. The bottom line is they have a right to find a tenant that will move in as soon as you move out so they aren't out of pocket. It appears the only option you have now is to find another apartment unless you feel that you can negotiate a new agreement with the new landlords. But, if you do that, you need to make sure that whatever agreement is made, is done so in writing.
    Lizlizzy2020 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Thanks for your answer do you think I can maybe at least write a letter regarding the terms that they can show the apt. like Monday through Friday at certain times only? Like something of that nature? Well I'm looking for another place but really no luck yet thanks again !
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2007, 12:31 PM
    I am sorry liz, I didn't see your response until now.

No honey, a letter like that would do you no good. They have a legal right to show the apartment with no restrictions other than giving 24 hour notice to show.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord/Tenant [ 6 Answers ]

Landlord is suing me in small claims court, for not providing a written notice, damage to Unit, Garbage disposal and for unpaid rent, I did give two months verbal notice, did not damage unit, have all copies of cheques paid and a letter from One of the partner stating I have paid my rent on time...

Landlord Tenant [ 6 Answers ]

I have a problem with my landlord and the association and I need your assistance. The property is in North Brunswick, NJ In June, my landlord received a letter, dated June 16th, stating that I have placed some miscellaneous items (Couple of buckets and a mop stick) on the deck of my rented...

Tenant vs. Landlord, VA [ 4 Answers ]

This one is a bit complicated... any help would be greatly appreciated... I was told by a woman I was working with that she had a house I could move in to and pay her "whatever" for the moment because she was paying the mortgage and it was empty. Something is better than nothing. I moved in...

Landlord-tenant laws [ 23 Answers ]

My apartment complex manager entered my apartment without giving any notice while I was at work, told a friend that she specifically said could stay there until he found his own apartment to get out and served him with criminal trespassing papers, told him to never be near the apartment complex,...

View more questions Search