Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rachell21 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 05:31 PM
    My 21month old son
    OK my son is now 21 months and he is still on the binky I've tried to break him from it and nothing is working I was told to put a whole in the end of it and fill it full of mustard WELL it didn't work he loved it so can anyone get me some tips
    AW805 Posts: 283, Reputation: 43

May 10, 2007, 05:45 PM
    My daughter sucked her thumb until she went into Kindergarten at 5 years old. I tried to get her to stop because I thought maybe it was bad for her or for her teeth. But when I talked to the doctor about it, he said there was no harm in it. So we let her and she eventually stopped on her own.

PS. She's now 19 years old and has beautiful teeth
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2007, 06:13 PM
    My daughter was addicted to the binky and it ruined her teeth. She has had to have a retainer put in and 2 teeth pulled. She was a screamer that turned out to be due to a hearing loss issue and the binky comforted her. My giving in to her for a moments peace ended up having to put her under general anesthesia to do her dental work.

Cold turkey was the only way to go. Be prepared not to get any sleep for a few weeks.
    AW805 Posts: 283, Reputation: 43

May 10, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rachell21
    ok my son is now 21 months and he is still on the binky ive tryed to break him from it and nothing is working i was told to put a whole in the end of it and fill it full of mustard WELL it didnt work he loved it so can anyone get me some tips
    Here's a link:

Thumb Sucking and Pacifiers

But you should really discuss this with your doctor.
    whiteladybug2002 Posts: 235, Reputation: 36

May 10, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Just take it away!

I know it is easier said than done, but it really is the only way! Pacifiers is easier to break than thumb sucking, because you can take away the pacifier but not the thumb.

Try setting a date to break the habit with the pacie in like a week. A time that will work best for you to deal with it. Between now and the time, work on discouraging your child from using the pacie and finding other activities to do with out it. On the day, throw the pacie away in front of the child and let them know it is gone for good. They will throw a fit, but it is better for them to know then look for it later. I think them knowing it is "gone" will help them to began to let go of the pacie. In a week or less, they will have no thoughts of the pacifier again, hopefully? This is just a personal suggestion that I believe will help.

If you plan to have any more children, take the pacifier away around 5 months, that is the easiest age to do it!

Good Luck and God Loves You!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 10, 2007, 06:40 PM
    ?? Trying to break him??

If you toss it in the trash and don't buy a new one, he is broke
    Heavens who is the parent
    kellkell Posts: 43, Reputation: 9

May 10, 2007, 09:39 PM
    You can explain to him that you are so proud of him because he is a "big boy" now and that his binky's needs to retire because they are too old and then get him to throw them in the garbage. Then get Some cupcakes stick a small candle in them and have "binky good bye party". Do crafts or what ever it is that is special for you both, to keep him occupied for a bit.

Of course, eventually he will probably want his binky again. He will probably not like the fact that you are reminding him that he is a big boy and doesn't use them anymore. And he will probably cry for a little bit. But since they are in the garbage [hopefully, you (or he) won't fish them out in desperation] they can not be used. Once he realizes that his crying is not going to help him get a binky he will "eventually" calm down. It is okay to be assertive and compassionate.

Good luck
    proudmommyoftwingirls Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rachell21
    ok my son is now 21 months and he is still on the binky ive tryed to break him from it and nothing is working i was told to put a whole in the end of it and fill it full of mustard WELL it didnt work he loved it so can anyone get me some tips
    Try cutting the nipple a little every other day eventually there will be no nipple that is how we broke the kids in daycare
    Canada_Sweety Posts: 597, Reputation: 49
    -

Jul 26, 2007, 07:27 PM
    This is going to sound cruel... but hot sauce... like Bibbly-Bob's hot sauce.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want my son [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I have a 6month old son his father and I split because he was to into his computer games and drugs he lives at home with his mom and I live on my own, my son stays with me never leaves my side. I sometimes take him to his grandmothers house to spend a night but of corse it has to be when the...

Please help me and my son [ 5 Answers ]

OK here's my situtaion I do not want my son's father's mother any where around myself or my son,here's a little backround she's is on drugs every pill, pain killer there is, she does multiple kinds of drugs meth, crank she'll eat it, snort it, smoke it all in her house. Her 11 and 12 yr. old...

My Son [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everybody I have some problems and need to share with those people with full of kindness that can help me. I am a single mom with 3 kids. I have a man next to me now that will be my future husband. He is a very good man to me and wonderful father-to- be to my kids. My relationship with...

Our New Son [ 27 Answers ]

Noah Samuel Kohen, son of Chava (orange) and Alex Kohen Born April 28, 2006 at 2:46 pm 7 lbs, 9 ounces Thank you for the warm welcome and kind wishes. The c-section went well with no complications. Noah is a large healthy baby, despite toxemia and early delivery. My wife is...

My son is gone... now what? [ 15 Answers ]

My son, Tiponi passed away in Dec. 2004. My shield of numbness is gone from me. I feel alone on the subject of death as no one here will talk about it or my son, Tiponi. If I mention his name the subject is quickly changed. If I have a moment of crying because I miss him so... my boyfriend...

View more questions Search