Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xglamorousx Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Pictures of old girlfriend, too hard to dispose of?
    Okay, ill give you the background of the story to better understand my point. My boyfriend and I live together, I moved in with him like 2 months ago. Were talking about having a family & everything.. the usual for couples, so I was cleaning under his bed and in a shoebox that he has a piece of glass fell out and cut my hand, I opened the box to see what it was, and it turns out it's a broken picture of his ex girlfriend, then I came to find that there was a million more of her. They were engaged and together for 3 years but she left him for the guy next door believe it or not.. and now she's engaged and happy. Why can't he throw out the pictures, its pictures of when he gave her the ring, and just snuggle pictures like of them kissing and her and him at his house. He tells me he never really loved her like he feels for me, but do all guys say that and what do I do? I told him that a piece fell out of the box and he said.. U WERE SNOOPING THROUGH MY STUFF? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? He got all defensive. I didn't tell him I looked through it. Now its really bothering me and I don't know what I'm supposed to do? I can't stand that he has those pictures its drivingme up the wall.. and I know I'm supposed to understand that when he feels its time to throw the pictures away but they broke up a long time ago, like almost 2 years ago.. . can someone help me? Or at least tell me how to cope with it?:confused:
    jillygirl524 Posts: 16, Reputation: 4

May 7, 2007, 07:47 PM
    First of all that's bull , he shouldn't have those anymore especially since he is hiding them. I would just hide them, and when he asks you will know that he is wanting to see them and not over it, then you can move on as well p.s. he wouldn't be with you if he didn't want to be
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 09:54 PM
    In my opinion he should not have to throw away them pictures. That was part of his life and she was obviously someone that was ver dear to him. They are memories of his life and what he has been through and in no way should he be forced to throw them out, and nor should he want to.

They aren't doing any harm. They are tucked away under his bed where no one can see them. Unless of course he has a snooping, jealous girlfriend. It isn't like he looks at them ever day and has them on show for everyone to see. They are out of th way in a smelly old shoe box.

Just because he has photos of his ex fiancé does not mean he is still in love with her. It just means that it was a part of his life. Just as you are. But the difference being you are a part of his present life. You go to bed with him each night in his arms. You talk about marriage and kids with him. He loves YOU now.

You need to understand that. That she is in his past and you are his present.

You know what as well, throwing them pictures away will not suddenly mean that she never existed. All it will mean is that he no longer has pictures of a period in his life. It won't make you feel any better either.

You just need to deal with and accept that he has a past, as I'm sure you do as well. And stop snooping through his private stuff too!
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 09:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillygirl524
    first of all thats bull , he shouldn't have those anymore especially since he is hiding them. I would just hide them, and when he asks you will know that he is wanting to see them and not over it, then you can move on as well p.s. he wouldn't be with you if he didnt want to be
    I disagree with everything you say except for the P.S.

That is the only thing that stopped you getting a red one!! ;)
    dogma Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

May 7, 2007, 10:03 PM
    In time he will throw them out. I did the same thing, A relationship is like a part of you and pictures just helped me to remember, not saying that I wanted that person again but I would look at them and relize the good and bad time we had and things that I did that I would not do again to my current girlfreind, they were like a reminder. So talk to him in a civil manner and let him know that they bother you and put the ball in his court, go From there but like I said in time they should disapere.
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 10:12 PM
    But they should not bother her. It isn't like he is looking at them all the time. They are in a shoe box under his bed.

I have pictures of me and my ex from our travels all over the world. There is hardly a picture without her in it. Am I meant to throw them away and lose the visual representation of some of the best times in my life. I don't think so.

She has no right to be bothered by this. It is her who he goes to bed with each night. Not the girl in the show box under his bed. And frankly if I had a girlfriend of mine come to me in the future and tell me I had to throw out all the photos of me and my ex on our travels I would be sending my new girlfriend out the front door with a one way ticket!!
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 10:16 PM
    Okay, I can say it would bother me if I found pictures of my husband's ex girlfriend. Even though, if I look hard enough, I can find pictures of my ex. Double standard right?

It is no big deal. Just a part of history. He probably got on the defensive because he knew that he would have to defend himself and justify why he had those things.
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 10:22 PM
    I agree NowWhat that it wouldn't be a pleasant experience to find the photos but I think it is unfair to expect people to completely dispose of things from their past.

If you are comfortable enough in your relationship with your boyfriend or husband then photos of ex's etc should not pose a problem in my opinion.

But if you are talking about the women that your husband had an affair with then that is a completely different thing. No way would I agree with him having them. NO WAY! I would make him burn them in front of me. But an ex from before you guys met or were together shouldn't be a problem.
    MissAdvice Posts: 63, Reputation: 9
    -

May 7, 2007, 10:25 PM
    I understand how you feel but please ask yourself is this insecurity ? Just because he holds onto her picture doesn't mean he is still in love with her. Perhaps he just is moving slowly to get over her. In time, he will dispose of those picture. Its not a lot worth fussing over. He is with you now, allow him his personal space and you will see that in time, your pictures will be everywhere.
    fix-what-you-broke Posts: 305, Reputation: 61

May 8, 2007, 01:04 AM
    Sorry did I miss something? She is his EX girlfriend, he is with YOU now, so what's the big deal? I never understand when people want their partner to erase their past and forget everything that happened up until the point they met you.
    My partner had a serious girlfriend before me, they were together about 3 years until she ripped his heart out, and yeah I would rather not have the thought of my partner was with someone else, but this is reality, he wasn't a virgin and neither was I, I knew he had people in his past, but he is with me now, I am the one he goes to sleep with every night.
    What I am trying to say is this... he is with you, so why worry over something that happened in his past that is now over?. so he gets rid of the pictures... he will still have memories...
    Jiser Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 281
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2007, 01:44 AM
    I burnt the pictures of my ex girlfriend in a ritual ceronmy (stunk out the room :(). The rest of them I deleted of my phone and put them in a file deep inside my PC. I deleted her phone number, all texts, put all the things which reminded me of my ex in a box including chucking away the presents she got me. I don't necessarily want to get rid of them. But in a few years time I will probably look back on the good times :P as I have done on other bad friendship breakups etc.

Nobody should have to get rid of anything.
    sexcccy013lv Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

May 8, 2007, 02:43 AM
    [if he can't destroy the pictures than he's not over her even if it has been 2 years remember she broke up with him so he still has feelings for her no matter what he says because I guarante if she told him today she wanted him back hed go in a heart beat
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 8, 2007, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sexcccy013lv
    [if he can't destroy the pictures than hes not over her even if it has been 2 years remember she broke up with him so he stil has feelings for her no matter what he says because i guarante if she told him today she wanted him back hed go in a heart beat
    I so disagree with this opinion, and I think you are making too much of deal that is really none of your business. If he had a shrine built in the closet you may have a case but just momentos from his past are his and his alone. Try to get beyond the insecurity, and get over this. Not even worth a second thought.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2007, 07:19 AM
    Everything we go through is what makes us who we are. History is history. I would love to think that there was no woman before me - that I am the be all, end all. That is not the case. (Well maybe the END ALL) My husband wasn't the first person I fell in love with or had sex with. But, he is the only person I committed to spending my life with. Isn't that what matters?
    natalicious Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

May 8, 2007, 07:32 AM
    I went through a similar situation with mt b/f. we got together and after 8 months moved in together. I was helping him pack when I found a box full of memories and photographs of him and his ex that he had been with for 7 years. I felt guilty for looking in the box but I needed to find out why he held onto them. He said it was just a large of his life and the pictures were just memories.He is with me now though and that's all that matters and if we ever break up there's going to be another girl finding our memory box.so don't expect him to forget her that's impossible and throwing pictures away is not going to help. If I makes you feel better start your own box
    AW805 Posts: 283, Reputation: 43

May 8, 2007, 09:07 AM
    I remember when I was snooping around and found my husband's stash of pictures. When he came home from work, I told him that I found his pictures of him and his ex. I nicely asked him why he kept them and he said he never really thought about it. So I gathered up his pictures then pulled out mine and we sat down on the couch and went down memory lane together. No biggie. It's all in the past.
    gypsy456 Posts: 319, Reputation: 48

May 8, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Of course... technically you wre snooping.
    But come on... how many of us women have not done that?
    So don't give her such a hard time!!

On the other hand... it is also understandable that he reacts like this.
    No matter how hard it is for you: this is a part of his life... it's the past.. it is over.
    I think that it's normal to hang on to photographs of a past unless that past simply unbearable.. in that case I can understand why somebody would not like to keep memories.

You will have to live with it.
    You are the one who has to find a way to deal with this... ask him to put the box away and then try to forget that this box is in the house, because it will drive you nuts... it will.
    And it is not necessary... you are the one who is with him and turning this into a bigger deal than it is... well, is it worth it ? Don't torture yourself with questions... "what if"... "does he"... It will not make you feel any less miserable.

We all have our past.
    Some of us have better memories than other.
    But it is what it is.
    The past.
    It is gone.
    No longer.

All that counts is the present.

And you are in his present.

Accept it.

Don't sabotage your relationship with this issue.

And do all guys do this...
    All guys I don't know... :)
    But the ones I dated and lived with had photographs of their exes.
    So do I.
    Do I throw them out ?
    No.
    I keep them.
    I never look at them, but I keep them.
    If there's a fire in my house I will not take those as the most important stuff... but they are there...
    And that's what it may be for your boyfriend.

Put lots of frames with photographs of the two of you on a table, create your own history together... these things take time.

But after all... we are only human.
    And remember... he has become the person you fell in love with because of the people he met in his past.

Don't be afraid.
    Just don't let it get you.

Good luck
    SnaveLeber Posts: 103, Reputation: 5
    -

May 8, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Sypher - She should, and I would. Actually... Id wait until you were @ work... then burn them/ Rip them up... throw the remains all over your bed. Then "Take off".
    You're looking for a puppy, not a girlfriend
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 8, 2007, 11:12 AM
    This guy had this under his bed. That's a place you look for things to read or do when you can't sleep. Then you fall asleep thinking of that. I wouldn't put up with it, oh no no no.
    I wouldn't trust you with a puppy let alone as relationship material. I predict a short romance and him running for the hills, since you have no respect.
    SnaveLeber Posts: 103, Reputation: 5
    -

May 8, 2007, 11:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    I wouldn't trust you with a puppy let alone as relationship material. I predict a short romance and him running for the hills, since you have no respect.
    Here's an overview

We respect each others wishes... He doesn't want me to go to bars... talk to those who do drugs... hang out with guys alone... or talk to any of my ex's
    I don't. Because I do respect him.
    And he respects me.
    I found an old pic of his ex. He laughed and said he forgot he had it. We each held a side and ripped it in half... then again.
    We have been dating for over 2 years... and will be married and less than 4 months.
    Rule out the notion that he is with me for the sex... There isn't any until marriage.
    See... Im that girl with him, that I mentioned earlier... That girl that he just picked.

So... your assumptions are incorrect...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

Can't see pictures. [ 2 Answers ]

Can anybody please help. When I download some pictures I get a blank box with a red cross in the top left corner. Can anybody advise me. Thanks. Jim.

Stop w/ the Pictures! [ 2 Answers ]

I really don't no how to tell her just to stop! She has like pictures of her self just with panties and pics of her bending over showing her in really tight jeans and pics of her bending over and showing all her clevage all over her Facebook and photo alboms and it is really bugging me that...

View more questions Search