Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kasundra25 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 07:44 PM
    Wanting custody of both my children
    My ex husband lives in AL and I in GA.. He has custody of my 2 children and I have them every other weekend. He is not the biological father of my 6 year old daughter and he knows this already... Even if his name is on the birth certificate, can I take my daughter from him and not risk the courts sperating her from her 3 year old brother.. My ex is the father of my son, but I want custody of my children and not risk having them sepatated... I want my ex to still see both of them but I want custody of them... How could I achieve such a goal?:confused:
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Apr 26, 2007, 08:59 PM
    How did he get custody in the first place? You could ask the courts for a paternity test, but since you know he isn't the dad, that may not play out in your favor. Most courts do not like to separate siblings but sometimes they will. I suggest you contact a lawyer, as you will need one anyway. What were the circumstances of your break up? Who left the home? How long has he had custody? All of those issues will be relevant.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2007, 09:03 PM
    A lot of the issue will be why he has custody in the first place, if you were deemed unfit then getting custody will be an issue.

It is very possible in GA and AL ( but not all states) if he is not the biological father you can sue for custody and demand a DNA test. But in some states if he is listed as father for a number of years on the birth certificate, it can not be contested so in some states it would not be possible.

So I guess why don't you already have custody ? But to get custody you will have to file in court for custody, first of the child that is not his, and prove it is not his by a DNA test. But the other child does not come automatically, you will have to prove you would be the better parent for the child to live with so it is very, very possible that you can get the girl, but not the son. But yes a lot of questions left unanaswered
    brazygirl08 Posts: 74, Reputation: 9

Apr 26, 2007, 09:25 PM
    I am sorry that this is happening to you. Post the answers to these other questions and then I can give you more advice... but I am in VA and things are different here but I will try to help all I can. My fiance's mom went though a lot of this :(
    Kristen

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody of my children [ 2 Answers ]

I wonder if anyone can help. Myself and girlfriend have split.she was visited by the social services in November and the house was disgusting .she had to move to her mothers. I have regular visits to my kids on a daily basis. My house has a bedroom waiting for them.she is a gambler and a liar she...

I already have custody of the children. [ 2 Answers ]

The Department of family and children services and a court granted me custody of my children due to my estranged wife's incarcaration for four felonies, two being drug related. We haven't been together since 2001 when I joined the military. The kids went back and forth as I was deployed and she was...

Father wanting custody [ 3 Answers ]

Wife left marital home with 2 year old daughter to live with her parents.She has apparently gone back to her beliefs in the JW.I do not want my daughter to be raised in that environment.Could use some advice.

Custody of my children [ 2 Answers ]

It's been 4 years and my ex wife has physical custodian rights to our kids, we both have legal rights to the kids. I am always having problems with seeing my kids. Every time a visit is schedule, the kids have a great time but they are ridiculed and question when they return to their mother's...

Single mom wanting sole custody [ 3 Answers ]

I am due to have my baby on July 11, 2005 and I want to take my ex-husband to court to get sole custody. I work fulltime and rent a two bedroom house and my ex lives with his girlfriends parents and has had several juobs in the past year and never stays at a job for a long time. He has 2-3 felonies...

View more questions Search