Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ToddMac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 06:11 PM
    Adding 220 to garage and motor markings
    Hello,
    I have a question about adding 220 to my garage and also some markings on a motor for a metal lathe that will be in there.

I have a lathe that is marked on the motor with 115/230 for volts, 60 cyc, phase 1, Amp 37/18.5... from what I gather this might mean it can run on 110 or 220? I'm not sure though.

I also have a compressor that is 220 and shows 15 amp min service on it's tag.

I already have 110 out there for outlets/lights for what that's worth. My service panel in the basement is 100 amp and its basically full. My plan is to add some of the space saver breakers and then I can add the large breaker for the 220 run to a subpanel in the garage (attached) I have some 8/3 wire I inherited, I wondered if it would be heavy enough?

So my questions would be
    1. on the lathe is that correct that it can run on 110? Does that mean she will cost a huge amount to run... It won't be used a lot, just some tinkering here and there. I was curious as to the Amps saying 37/18.5 also.

2. Is the subpanel the best plan for my ordeal?

3. With the home being older and only having 100 amp service, am I already in trouble?

4. What wiring should I use, and is it correct to add a breaker to the main service and then run to a panel in the garage with the same size breaker... and what size would it need to be? It's probably 30' of run.

Thanks a huge amount for any information! I think I am about ready to start this mess as soon as I get a little more info.
    Todd
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 25, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Tkrussel will give you the best advice on how to add a subanel to the garage. Your lathe can run on either 110 vac or 220 vac depending on how you alter the plug and motor connection. It will draw less amps on 220 and actually run better and more efficiently. It won't cost any more to run than a table saw or miter saw. I would consider getting an estimate for 200 amp since you are adding a few 220 tools and I don't know what's in your house like AC, electric water heater, electric stove, etc...
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2007, 07:00 AM
    At an average of 10 cents per kilowatt-hour, the AC will cost about 45 cents per hour to run, no matter if it is connected at 120 or 240 volts.

Using 240 volts will allow smaller wire to feed it, would need #10 wire for 240 volts 30 amp circuit , and #6 if you were to use 120 volts 50 amp circuit.

Connect 240 volts to the motor.

For a 30 foot run, for one circuit, and if the main panel can accept more circuit breakers using the tanadm or half size, I don't think a subpanel is necessary.

If you need more circuits in the garage, then a subpanel may be needed.

You say you have # 8 wire. What type of cable? You would need a 4 wire #8 cable, and this would give you a 40 amp sub panel.

The 100 amp servie may be sufficient, or may not be, depending on the calculated load of the home. Adding a lathe or a couple of shop tools that will only be used one at a time as a hobby should not warrant a 200 amp service.

Knowing the total square foot of livable space of the home, all major electric appliances, type of heat, and size air conditioning, I can do the service size calcs to determine if a new service is needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a bathroom to an old garage [ 5 Answers ]

I currently have a 2 bedroom, 1 bath house, built in the '50s with a garage that has been converted to a workshop. There is plumbing for a washer-dryer in the workshop area. I want to convert the workshop into a bedroom and add a bathroom, but because the workshop area is on a slab (the rest of...

Change 220 motor to 110 [ 6 Answers ]

After I have changed the motor per the diagram on the motor do I have to change the way the cord(plug in) is attached to the motor in any way? Can I just change the plug in to adapt to a 110 outlet?

Wiring a 220 volt fan motor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Dayton 1/3 H.P. motor Model no. 4M099C. It is a 220-230 volt motor. There are four wires coming from the motor. The purple is marked common, the black marked high, the blue marked med. And the red marked low. I want to connect these to run on 220. How do I go about connecting common and...

Changing motor from 220 to 110 [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old Sears radial arm saw that I changed to run on 220V from 110V some time ago. I am now in a situation where I don't have easy access to 220V and need to change it back to 110V, but I can't find my manual. I see where the wires connect to the switch, but I don't see where I can move...

Adding heating/ac to the garage [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to add AC and possibly heat to my garage so that I can work there. There seems to be two choices: (1) add a portable unit, or (2) extend the duct system from my house. I still need to be able to open and close the garage door so the garage is not energy efficient. Does anyone have...

View more questions Search