Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SBORY Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2010, 07:54 AM
    The year is 2010, are your (havc1000) posts #7 and #8 still up to date? I guess what I'm saying has the training caught up with some of the technology or is this the same setup you would recommend. I live in the Dallas area.

Thanks
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 7, 2010, 09:06 AM
    Sorry to say but things are not better but actually worse in the real world. Since high unemployment has hit the USA we now have another 200,000 people who call themselves service technicians that have no idea what they are doing. They are all running around trying to make $$$$ but not really fixing anything properly. I do not like to paint a picture of gloom and doom but the facts speak for themselves. A real installer or service person is very hard to come by. Anyone can slap in equipment or replace every part in a unit until it works but that is not quality and the customer suffers from higher cost for everything from service to higher utility bills.

Now do not get me wrong. We have a highly talented group of service people in the field right now but there are just not enough of them. The few good training schools cannot produce enough new techs' to replace the older qualified techs to start with let alone having enough for the increased demand. This has been discussed on many levels in the industry and there is no consensus on how to cure this problem since it takes years to develop quality HVAC personnel.

Protect yourself at all costs. Read the guide below for company selection and get at least 3 estimates. It never hurts to also ask for recommendations from good friends or coworkers since they might have had a bad or good experience with a company to tell you about. Arming yourself with information is always a good move but unless you want to go to school and work in this industry tread lightly with the info you find on the net since all persons out there do not give the strait story or know exactly what they are talking about.

I have never met a person who knows all about the HVAC biz and that includes me.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf How to pick a Contractor.pdf (309.7 KB, 177 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

12 Seer to 13 Seer [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Goodman Heat pump and air handler. The system is less than year old. I am wanting to put a 13 seer versus the 12 seer that I currently have. Do I need to replace the air handler as well. I would rather just replace the outside unit if possible. Thanks in advance

Electrical outlet rating vs. Circuit breaker amperage rating [ 5 Answers ]

Hello to all, I am new to this forum, please excuse me if this question has been answered. I just bought a Thermal Dynamics Plasma cutter. It has a Nema 50-P plug end on it, which I assume is to be plugged into a Nema 50-R outlet. In looking in my reference book, this is a 3 wire...

Can I break my Apt. Lease if I buy a home 40 miles away? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in a Camden apt. home. I am buying a house in Arlington and I live in Plano, Tx. About 40 miles away. I am moving for work. I have heard that since this is considered a "change of lifestyle". I will be able to break my lease and not have to pay any penalties. I contacted my leasing...

Breaking a lease to buy a home [ 3 Answers ]

Can I break a lease if I am buying a home without being penalized?

How do I buy a cheap forclosed or bank owned home? [ 3 Answers ]

I need help my husband and I are just starting to look for a house in the area and we wanted to look at foreclosed and bank owned first. How do we go about looking at them and even buying them? We live in Kentucky and I don't know what the rules are about this if anybody knows please help......

View more questions Search