Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    holyhoney Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Unable to partition or format hard drive
    I have a Toshiba MK6014MAP 6gig hard drive that I am unable to partition, reformate, fdisk I am unable to do anything with it

I have tried fdisk through dos and a windows98 bootdisc, I have tried partition magic, also ultimate boot cd, just about anything you can think of to no avail.

The newest message I get is "failure fixed disk 1"

I am using a Gateway 2000 Solo Laptop which does not allow for the floppy and cd-rom to run at the same time (there is only one slot, so it is one or the other)

I am able to get the laptop to boot using the windows XP 6 discs but this setup cancells once it needs to read the cd-rom, otherwise no other boot disk will work

Also the bios is "Phoenix Bios Note Bios 4.0 setup 1985-96 - Version 7.44". As my knowledge in bios is very limited I am unsure if this is all correct as it seems to me that there is a couple of different things conflicting ontop of the hard drive problem

Please help

Lisa
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 21, 2007, 04:01 PM
    OK what are you try to achieve here.
    I'm bemused that you are try to partition a 6Gb drive, seems a bit of a waste of time.
    What OS are you looking to install, as part of the XP install is partition and format ?
    Also you start by mentioning a Toshiba machine than go on to talk about a Gateway one. Which is it?

Apr 21, 2007, 04:09 PM
    Sorry if little confusing but daylight now here and I still no closer

It is a Gateway laptop with a toshiba hard drive and all I am trying to do is re-install any operating system so that my young daughter may use it

I was not trying to partition a 6 gig hard drive... that would make no sense, all I want to do is format the hard drive which it will not do until it has a dos partition which I cannot get any fdisk program to do
    itsjb5 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Does it see the hard drive? Maybe set to slave and not master.

Apr 21, 2007, 05:15 PM
    When I boot up with a win98 boot disk in the floppy I get 2 msg's - 1st, failure fixed disk 1, press F1 to resume , F2 to setup... I press resume (F1) and it all seems to go fine until windows is due to start, then I get 2nd message saying that there is no partition on the hard drive and to use fdisk at the a: prompt... upon doing that I get a final message saying error reading disk

If I use the 6 windows xp floppies I am able to boot all the way up until it needs to read the cd-rom... which it is unable to find due to the problem that this laptop does not allow for both floppy and cd-rom to plugged in at the same time

To add to my woes, the cd-rom only works part of the time... well actually only once and I cannot remember what settings I changed to get it to work... yes I tell it to boot from the cd-rom but it just won't do it... someone said it mite be a memory problem?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 21, 2007, 06:29 PM
    Sounds to me like the drive is dead.

Apr 21, 2007, 06:36 PM
    Finally, I can lay it to rest... thank you... I really wanted to make sure as a new one will cost a little more than I have, but I have tried everything and read just about everything so I am feeling better about taking the hard drive on a long drive to the country hehehe

But I will connect it to my PC first just to make sure

Thank you for your help and time
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 21, 2007, 06:48 PM
    Lol -- you could have connected to your desktop for reformat --install operating system also -- Savage
    lchabo_2001 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Look for the "load default values" key from the bios setup and proceed to do that. Then try to reboot. If that fails then I think the hard drive is truly damaged and cannot be used.
    Also try installing linux on it and if u get the same situation then you have to conclude that the disk cannot be used.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to format hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Gateway desktop. How do I re-format hard drive? I get message saying it is being used by another application when I know it isn't.

How to format Hard drive? [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday I was rebooting my PC, I entered DOS Prompt and format my other partitions except C:, which was when formatted answer was that it is used by other programs. If somebody help me out?

How do I format my hard drive [ 6 Answers ]

I have installed at moment a version of windows xp pro and it is in german I have acquired a english version called winborg allin one and it tells me to format before inserting the disc but when I click on the hd it comes up in german telling me something about closing windows but I cannot...

External hard drive partition inaccessible [ 2 Answers ]

2 partitions on my external 120gb HD have become inaccessible. Their names now appear to be "Local Disk", and if you try to access them you get an error message. http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/11865/0/s.JPG The drives F and H in the picture above are the ones having the problem....

New Hard Drive Installation/Format for XP [ 6 Answers ]

Hi All. Hope you can help me. Ihave just installed a new 250GB hard drive. Can some one please help me on how i install windows ME. Ihave the hard drive set to master. Ihave also a floppy startup disk. hope you can help this essexguy. My home email is [email protected] Many thanks richardxx :)

View more questions Search