Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Nov 23, 2015, 10:51 AM
    Need advice on old, brittle, wire insulation
    My house, built in 1895, has some old armoured cable wiring where the exposed wire insulation is very brittle. Most of the old cable has been replaced, but in some locations this is impossible without major wall/ceiling demolition. In some locations I've used electrical tape to wrap the wires in the box, although it is often difficult to do a good job without causing further damage.

Right now, I want to install a ceiling fixture where both the hot and neutral leads have two wires (a line and load to somewhere else). This makes it very difficult to wrap the wires. I've read about using shrink-wrap tubing to repair the insulation, but I'd have to take things apart to get the shrink wrap on.

Is there a product where you could just "paint" on an insulation repair? Any other suggestions?

(I have a picture, but don't see how to attach it.)
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 23, 2015, 11:05 AM
    Split wire loom. 1/4" is smallest I could find, however twisting will reduce its diameter. Check electronics store or automotive parts store such as Car Quest.

Also see
    http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/liquid_tape
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2015, 03:08 PM
    I would use split loom covers. HD has them in different sizes and lengths, in the electrical dept. I would consider rewiring if possible, K&T has no ground and unless you are using GFCI's everywhere, you have a safety issue. Many insurance companies will not insure a house with K&T wiring. Another problem with K&T is the difficulty determining hot and neutral. Be aware that you cannot wrap fiberglass insulation around K&T it was designed to be free air.
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Nov 25, 2015, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Split wire loom. 1/4" is smallest I could find, however twisting will reduce its diameter. Check electronics store or automotive parts store such as Car Quest.

Also see
    Liquid Electrical Tape & Spray Electrical Insulation | Plasti Dip International
    Thanks. I got some "liquid electrical tape" from Home Depot, which is similar to the product you linked to. It seems to be just right for my needs. The stuff in the bottle is a little thick, but the spray is thinner. Unfortunately, the spray is black and powerful, so I can't use it in the furnished living room.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 26, 2015, 05:21 AM
    Unfortunately, the spray is black and powerful
    You can probably spray on a small brush and then brush it on wires.

I can't use it in the furnished living room.
    There is always Wiremold

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much insulation need to be in a wire nut [ 1 Answers ]

NEC code for how much insulation need tobe in a wire nut ?

What is a Megger meter or tester use for, can it test the insulation on a wire? If no [ 6 Answers ]

What is a Megger meter or tester use for, can it test the insulation on a wire? If not what can I use to test insulation?

How to add insulation to existing catherdral ceiling with no insulation now [ 1 Answers ]

We are removing to popcorn from to ceiling and found that no insulation was ever add. We have two skylights windows and recest lighting also in this ceiling. We stopped everything until we can find out which way to go. What is the best wayto to this. What other information do you need from me....

Worn Insulation Service Wire [ 1 Answers ]

I have just bought an older Farm house and the service cable insulation is very worn. Where it enters the house there is no plastic/coated insulation. It appears to be wrapped since threads are visible. I am wondering if this could be safely re-insulated/coated or should the service wire be...

View more questions Search