Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tableclocks Posts: 432, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2014, 07:02 AM
    Auto comprehensive coverage
    I had a electric fire in my 2008 silverdo last night looks like from the fuse panel at the left side of the dash. I saw it after I got out of church. Lot of damage, melted plastic, cracked windshield, fuse panel itself all burned up. I have GEICO comprehensive, and looks like that should be covered under a non accident fire. What do you think? I won't hear from a adjuster until Monday. Thanks. Richard
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 1, 2014, 08:19 AM
    Why dont you call your insurance agent and ask. That would be my first move.

Mar 1, 2014, 08:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Why dont you call your insurance agent and ask. That would be my first move.
    Auto comprehensive coverage I did call.. I won't hear from them till Monday... though you might have a expert opinion... tks
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 1, 2014, 08:53 AM
    You won't get beyond the blue book value of your vehicle. If it costs less to total out rather than fix, that's probably what you have coming. Consult the Blue Book for the value of your vehicle. That will give you an idea of what to expect.

Good Luck.
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Mar 1, 2014, 09:44 AM
    Yes, a fire would be covered under your comprehensive. They'll figure out a repair cost and if it exceeds their "total" percentage (usually 70% of retail value) they'll give you the retail price. BUT, you need to be on your toes about what exactly is retail price. It's NOT blue book. It's what the same vehicle is going for on RETAIL car lots in your area (usually within 100 miles of you). On top of that, they must pay you sales tax, license and transfer fees. In other words, they have to make you "whole" without any out of pocket. Read this post on how to deal with insurance companies.

Don't get screwed by insurance companies.

Mar 1, 2014, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMN View Post
    Yes, a fire would be covered under your comprehensive. They'll figure out a repair cost and if it exceeds their "total" percentage (usually 70% of retail value) they'll give you the retail price. BUT, you need to be on your toes about what exactly is retail price. It's NOT blue book. It's what the same vehicle is going for on RETAIL car lots in your area (usually within 100 miles of you). On top of that, they must pay you sales tax, license and transfer fees. In other words, they have to make you "whole" without any out of pocket. Read this post on how to deal with insurance companies.

Don't get screwed by insurance companies.
    Thank you... my main though is that they will say that I had a mechanical problem that caused the fuse box to short out.. and that the fire was not caused by a out side sorce... your thoughs... thank you..
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Mar 1, 2014, 10:16 AM
    If you were screwing around with the fuse box and did something wrong to cause the fire, then you might have a fight on your hands. But fuse boxes aren't supposed to burn up on their own. You've already invested too much energy on worrying. Divert that energy into looking for a comparable vehicle at retail car lots so you know what yours is worth if they decide to total it.

It has to be the same year, make, model and with same options and close to same mileage to be comparable. Also, it has to be in the same condition.

Quote Originally Posted by tableclocks View Post
    Thank you... my main though is that they will say that I had a mechanical problem that caused the fuse box to short out.. and that the fire was not caused by a out side sorce... your thoughs... thank you..

Mar 1, 2014, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMN View Post
    If you were screwing around with the fuse box and did something wrong to cause the fire, then you might have a fight on your hands. But fuse boxes aren't supposed to burn up on their own. You've already invested too much energy on worrying. Divert that energy into looking for a comparable vehicle at retail car lots so you know what yours is worth if they decide to total it.

It has to be the same year, make, model and with same options and close to same mileage to be comparable. Also, it has to be in the same condition.
    no.. I did and do nothing in the fuse box, wonder if they will say it was a mechanical issue and not covered ,because the fire was not caused by a out side source.. thanks for your thoughts... richard
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Mar 1, 2014, 11:20 AM
    Rick is correct. Fuse boxes are not supposed to spontaneously burst into flames so there was an electrical issue somewhere. I am not sure what you are getting at with your "mechanical issue" statement. Fuse boxes are electrical, no mechanical moving parts. It should be covered.

Also, to get an idea of the value of your car, use Used 2008 Chevrolet Values - NADAguides

Mar 1, 2014, 12:04 PM
    From what do you base your option ? Thank you.. I sure hope the GEICO adjuster agrees... they won't call till Monday I guess... thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2014, 12:32 PM
    It should be covered.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 1, 2014, 05:42 PM
    The adjuster may want the auto taken to a shop and the cause of the fire determined.

But normally yes they should pay, it will be the value of auto minus your deductible amount

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Comprehensive Question [ 3 Answers ]

On December 1, 2012, Bluemond Company had the following account balances. Debits Credits Cash 18,200 Accumulated depreciation- Notes Receivable 2200 Equipment 3000 Accounts...

Other comprehensive income [ 1 Answers ]

Why is "other comprehensive income" not included in the income statement, but it is included in the statement of comprehensive income? What is the main purpose of this?

Other Comprehensive Income [ 0 Answers ]

Lee Corporation, a U.S. Company, began operations on January 1, 2004. During its first 3 years of operations, Lee reported net income and declared dividends as follows. Net income Dividends declared 2004 $ 40,000 $ 0 2005 125,000 50,000 2006 160,000 50,000 The following information...

View more questions Search