Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annettehodges Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 06:11 PM
    Aggressive Dog
    My dog Shelby is 6 years old and is a mixed breed. According to the shelter she is shelty and akita. Shelby and my Granddaughter who is now 5 years old were best friend. My Granddaughter could do anything to her including putting her hands in Shelby's mouth. We moved and they were separated for about 11 months. Now Shelby want's nothing to do with her. I am afraid she is going to bite my Granddaughter she is showing her teeth and growling at her. Shelby also has decided she doesn't like puppy's or dog any more either. Help what can I do to correct this?
    ellaberry Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Maybe shelby just needs to get to know your granddaughter again. SLOWLY. She may have remembered the dog, gotten too excited and just been to forward with her. Shelties as a breed are rather nervous and shy, so she may just need to warm up to the granddaughter again. Is she growling just when the granddaughter walks in the room? Or when she tries to touch her? If she's OK with the granddaughter in the room, let the granddaughter just sit there and ignore her, letting shelby go up to her in her own time. Even when shelby does approach her, don't let her touch the dog. Let shelby get completely confident and then you can slowly move onto petting. A few days of petting and making sure shelby is fine with being approached, and then play can be started! (but if shelby gets aggressive again, there may be another problem, and I say talk to an expert!)
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 1, 2007, 06:20 PM
    I tell you that dog could do allot of damage to a little girl. If you are really worried make sure that the dog can not come in contact with her, or get rid of the dog. But don't take chances.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Almost all behavior problems need to start with a vet check. At that age, I am surprised to see such a change in personality. Usually from about age 3 until old age sets in, a dog won't change much. You can't train a physical problem away.

It is a little late now, but the dog could need better leadership. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position that site has an additional page on children and dogs. Read it too.

Apr 1, 2007, 07:14 PM
    So Ella you think it is Ok for a dog to attack a kid if the kid "deserves it."
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2007, 08:33 PM
    In general, a 5 year old and a dog should never be together unsupervised, or at least until both prove themselves trustworthy. In the end, getting rid of the dog may have to be done. As I said, the first thing is a vet's appointment.

The dog is spayed?

Apr 1, 2007, 08:56 PM
    Yeah I didn't mean to sound too harsh, I just meant finding a home that didn't have kids.
    But I agree that it is important to supervise both. And you could always just keep the dog locked in a bedroom while the child is there. I have a basset hound (93lb.) that we have to be careful like this. For some reason he just doesn't like some people and will bite if they turn their back on him. It's strange because there is no rhyme or reason to it, I mean I know it is because he is scared but why by only certain people I don't know.
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2007, 03:23 AM
    Sounds like the Basset Hound needs leadership too.
    annettehodges Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Sounds like the Basset Hound needs leadership too.
    Shelby was spayed when she was a puppy. I wonder if the move might be part of the problem too. I have not been working and have been spending a lot of time with Shelby and maybe that's part of the problem. I think she thinks she is human and is jealous of Lea getting my attention. When my Granddaughter enters the room shelby doesn't growl. Only when Granddaughter Lea goes near Shelby does she growl and shows her teeth. When Lea goes near Shelby goes the other directions. The first time she growled and showed her teeth my first reaction was to hit her on the bridge of her nose. I know this is not the way to change bad behavior but it was just a scared reaction. I do not believe Shelby would attack Lea but she may nip her like she sometimes does the cats. But heaven knows that could still do a lot of damage. I am going to make a vet appointment today thank you.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 2, 2007, 11:07 AM
    Children are really unpredictable and should always be watched carefully with animals and vice-versa, I have a 5 year old daughter and you have to explain to them that dogs can't talk so they growl and bite to show you that they don't want to be touched and that you should never touch a dog without an adult and NEVER EVER let a child put there hand in a dog's mouth no matter how submissive the dog seems to be.
    Dog's change, just like humans, so he may not want to play with the child anymore and he may feel jeolous of her, so I would take extra careful
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by annettehodges
    Shelby was spayed when she was a puppy. I wonder if the move might be part of the problem too. I have not been working and have been spending alot of time with Shelby and maybe that's part of the problem. I think she thinks she is human and is jealous of Lea getting my attention. When my Granddaughter enters the room shelby doesn't growl. Only when Granddaughter Lea goes near Shelby does she growl and shows her teeth. When Lea goes near Shelby goes the other directions. The first time she growled and showed her teeth my first reaction was to hit her on the bridge of her nose. I know this is not the way to change bad behavior but it was just a scared reaction. I do not belive Shelby would attack Lea but she may nip her like she sometimes does the cats. But heaven knows that could still do a lot of damage. I am going to make a vet appointment today thank you.
    I am glad you are taking labman's advice. A vet check is always a good idea.

As an add to this post, just be aware that Shelby doesn't think she is human. It is much more likely, she views Lea as another dog that is a challenge to her rank in your pack. You are the leader. Shelby views herself as next in rank. She views Lea as a subordinate to her. She is letting Lea know that she will put Lea in her place if Lea oversteps whatever boundaries Shelby has established for herself. So, just be aware of the fact that your granddaughter, at her age, if not visiting on a frequent enough basis, will not be able to satisfactorily establish a leadership role with Shelby. As others have pointed out, it is never wise to leave a young child unsupervised around any dog. I think for now, you need to be vigilant when Lea is visiting. Please take a look at labman's links that he has provided. Both will be very useful tools for you in this situation. If you can get a good grasp on what is happening, you can start working with Lea on how to establish herself as a leader in Shelby's eyes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Help! Aggressive Daschund Puppy... but only with me! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I have an 11 week year old Alpha Female Daschund. She is such a cutey and I love her a lot. But when I tell her no bite, or I try and discipline her, she growls at me and attacks me. That is the only time she does though and all of the other times she is snugly and loving. She does not do...

2 male aggressive cats [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 unfixed male cats. Kaspian is a part Bengal domestic, and is almost 3 years old. Kain is part Siamese, and is almost 2 years old. We go them about 6 months apart when they were kittens. So have been together all their lives. They got along great until we moved about 3 months ago, and...

GF's random aggressive behaviour II [ 18 Answers ]

Yeap!. we were again together, and for some time things were going just fine... sudently another fight and another harsh words from her... She came from a university reunion with some of her friends, and they all were with so me drinks on their heads, she came to pick me up to drive them to...

Gf's random aggressive behaviour [ 7 Answers ]

Hi to all, greetings for this forum which helps lots of people to vent their problems, like me.. Well, my case its kind of long to explain but I will try to resume it as better as I can. I have a relatioship with my 19 yo girlfriend, we been together about 2 1/2 years now. We experiment lots...

My Dachshund is getting aggressive ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem with my Dachshund, its because he got very attached to me and for example when I have visits he gets very aggressive to them until he goes close to them and barks a them and shows theeth, and it happened two times that he bitted. But then after that he can be very caring to...

View more questions Search