Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peejwolley Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 05:39 PM
    P trap elbow for tub
    Hello,

I am installing a new tub and the PVC waste drain has an elbow directly below the tub with a screw on fitting in the elbow. I am assuming this is the p-trap. Will this leak if I simply tighten it? Do I use any kind of glue or putty or teflon tape in this area? It seems like simply tightening this may not be enough. Can't find any specifics about this in the typical DIY books.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2007, 06:16 PM
    That piece is called the tub drain, or shoe. It has a basket that screws down. It requires putty between the basket and the tub, and a rubber washer between the shoe and the tub [under the tub]. I put thread dope on the threads of the basket.
    peejwolley Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 10:08 AM
    No, not the tub drain waste shoe. The P-Trap elbow with the screw collar. Personally, I am very meticulous about both the gathering of correct procedural information and the execution of same. I have no intention of hurting myself or others, nor would I proceed with such a project if I thought there was the slightest possibility of such. I'm actually not saving money by doing this project myself. To code; I have successfully replaced 95% of the plumbing in my three story home with the exception of the master bath. I would have loved to pay a plumbers asking price for the entire job and saved myself the hassel, but I've met the plumbers here in town and they didn't inspire my confidence. I thank God they do not protect the health of the nation! If they did, we would be in GREAT jeopardy. This message board is made available to people who (for whatever the reason my be) need, hopefully qualified, information to 'correctly' proceed with a project while avoiding potential problems. We may "Dent" the income of professionals by doing these projects ourselves, but until we live in complete communism, this is our prerogative. Advisors (senior or not) would do better to offer help to, rather than criticism of, us Do-It-Yourselfers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Barrel Trap from Tub/Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in a pickle and am not sure what to do. I've got a drum trap that began leaking at a solder joint to it. I've looked around for a replacement, but they're hard to find. I want to replace it with a typical P trap, but I have a question about how to go about it. The existing picture...

Closing off a 1 1/2" elbow [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 3" Tee main vertical waste stack, non pressurized. Coming out of the top is a 1 1/2" vent elbow that is showing through the sub floor. I want to seal off the vent so that it is not showing. I am adding another vent. I can't replace the 3" Tee. There is not enough room to cut off the...

Leak from tub drain... possibly trap? [ 3 Answers ]

My wife was getting a shower today. I was in the kitchen and I noticed a leak in the ceiling. To describe the leak its as if someone poured a cup of water, stopped, poured it again, stopped and that was it. I yelled up to my wife and she turned the water off. I checed out the drain at the front...

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

Tub drain to P trap [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I am replacing the tub in my bathroom, as well as much of the drain line. I am replacing the galvanized(?) pipe and drum trap with 2" PVC, a Vent, and a P-Trap.. my problem is how do i install the Tub drain to the P-trap. The tub drain assembly is 1 1/2" or so.. and the P-Trap is 2".. I got a...

View more questions Search