Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sypher373 Posts: 360, Reputation: 38

Mar 27, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Books for building self-esteem/self-confidence
    Hello all,

I am curious to know if anyone has any suggestions about books which help to build self-confidence and self-esteem. I feel I have also had trouble accepting myself for who I am, and have poor self image. I am trying to recover from a breakup, and this has only compounded these feelings.

I am interested in buying a book that may posbily help me to build these traits in me, so that I can be more confident in myself, which will lead to me being more fun to be around, and more attractive to other people.

Thanks for any input :)
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2007, 03:54 PM
    An oldie but a goldie is the book, "I'm OK - - You're OK: A Practical Guide To Transactional Analysis" by Thomas A. Harris, M.D. Other books you might want to check are: "Perfect Love Imperfect Relationships" by John Welwood and "You Don't Have to Take It Anymore" by Steven Stosny, PhD. I just a new book yesterday called, "You Are Your Choices" by Alexandra Stoddard.

A trip to your local library and look under the Psychology and self-help section.

There are many websites out there too that are maintained by mental health care professionals. Just one example is Michele Germain. Her website is Michele Germain. Another website is Mental Health Matters: Information and resources about mental health issues for consumers, professionals, students and supporters.
    Yet another decent site is Inner Bonding: Relationship Advice, Relationship Help, Spiritual Growth, Parenting Advice
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Mar 30, 2007, 07:01 AM
    I have a good book "The Self-Esteem Companion" Simple exerises to help you challenge your inner critic and celebrate your personal strengths by Matthew McKay, Ph.D. Patrick Fanning, Carole Honeychurch, and Catharine Sutker. This book helped me a lot with self esteem issues. I don't know how old you are, but I was going through self esteem issues in my twenties. I am thirty-one now and I look back and wonder why I felt the way I did because there was nothing wrong with me. I think the older you get, the more self confident you get because you know yourself a little better. But I really think this book might help you-it did me. It gives you different exercises for your mind to improve yourself esteem and also helps you to just relax.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Excel - draw confidence bands [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I am a new comer and am glad to meet you all. I am a beginner in Excel. I am searching answer on the following problem. I have some data and I have plotted a trendline using the regression built-in function of excel. There is output data for 95% confidence - both upper and...

Self-esteem [ 2 Answers ]

Besides the fact that I had been in a relationship for a very long time that I let really break me, or so I still think. I'm not really at the point yet where I see my growth or what I've learned, still, I know I'll get there. MY question is this: What makes a person a worthy person of...

Confidence. [ 3 Answers ]

Oh I'm admitting it. I have self confidence issues. I never thought I did because well... I don't know I always thought I was pretty dam confident.. but after asking here and talking to some friends they all agree that I have low confidence in myself... Something like I feel I'm not good enough...

Confidence... [ 1 Answers ]

Some say that confidence is instilled by a significant other while growing up. Some say confidence happens when you have success at something and you build on that success. Well I didn't draw on a significant other while growing up because Dad didn't have any confidence either. I seem to mirror...

Statistics Confidence Level Question [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I was looking to determine a confidence level for a test I was running. This is for an automotive product that will be in 55,000 vehicles. Could someone please let me know how to calculate the sample rate of testing that needs to be done to obtain 95 % Confidence Level. Thanks, MM

View more questions Search