Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hurtslikehell12 Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2013, 11:59 AM
    Sorry, I'm not following this! I am healing - you should have seen/heard me 3 months ago! Thriving and enjoying feeling utterly devastated and discarded is a new one on me! And OK, 60 comments later but there are other people offering their opinions, which don't necessarily match yours and they are just as relevant as both of yours. I mean no disrespect, but to suggest I am enjoying this is way off the mark!
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 31, 2013, 12:11 PM
    Relax, and expect to be challenged. A bit of anger is good in the first stages of NO CONTACT. Makes you hit the gym, or something strenuous. :D
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 31, 2013, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurtslikehell12 View Post
    Sorry, I'm not following this! I am healing - you should have seen/heard me 3 months ago!! Thriving and enjoying feeling utterly devastated and discarded is a new one on me! And ok, 60 comments later but there are other people offering their opinions, which don't necessarily match yours and they are just as relevant as both of yours. I mean no disrespect, but to suggest I am enjoying this is way off the mark!
    I'm just chewing around on this --

"I just seem to get to a point where I feel strong enough to function and then I use that strength to try and 'win' her back! It's not worked so far so I need a different approach... One where she is the person doing the chasing! I can't make her (or anyone) love me - but she did love me once and all I can do now is work on me and maybe she will see the person she fell in love with again!"
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2013, 12:57 PM
    Sorry, I'm not following this! I am healing - you should have seen/heard me 3 months ago!! Thriving and enjoying feeling utterly devastated and discarded is a new one on me! And ok, 60 comments later but there are other people offering their opinions, which don't necessarily match yours and they are just as relevant as both of yours. I mean no disrespect, but to suggest I am enjoying this is way off the mark!
    I've said all I can say. I know what I've told you works and it works well. It is your choice to use it or not. It is my choice to be a positive person and to have good days despite what anyone does. If you choose to have bad days well then have bad days.

Aug 1, 2013, 12:07 AM
    Thank you tiger - I am having days where I feel like I'm over the worst of it and I can actually enjoy myself, even although the thought of her is still with me, but I can't seem to string a few days together like that just now, it's very up and down! I am determined though to never be in this position again and will continue to work on myself, physically as well! I know attraction faded! I hope the outcome I want does happen but even if it doesn't, I still want to see the back of this hell as soon as possible!

Aug 1, 2013, 01:29 AM
    ... on the subject of n/c - I know it's a tool to allow me to sort myself out without setting myself back, and I removed myself off Facebook to help me heal. As I've gotten stronger emotionally this past week, I added myself back on and have been very busy socially through it as in people looking to catch up and chat. However, a lot of these people are mutual friends. Now it was suggested to me previously on another site that whilst in n/c, this will also allow her time to miss me - and to feel my lack of presence? It seems to have gone that way a little (albeit she isn't breaking the door down or asking to talk to me!) but I'm just wondering if being in contact with mutual friends sort of dilutes n/c? Not that we are passing messages to each other through friends, but is there still a "lack of presence" where she can see my activities (which - lets face it - on Facebook, are deliberately positive all the time!)?
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2013, 04:17 AM
    ...on the subject of n/c - I know it's a tool to allow me to sort myself out without setting myself back, and I removed myself off Facebook to help me heal. As I've gotten stronger emotionally this past week, I added myself back on and have been very busy socially through it as in ppl looking to catch up and chat. However, a lot of these people are mutual friends. Now it was suggested to me previously on another site that whilst in n/c, this will also allow her time to miss me - and to feel my lack of presence?? It seems to have gone that way a little (albeit she isn't breaking the door down or asking to talk to me!) but I'm just wondering if being in contact with mutual friends sort of dilutes n/c? Not that we are passing messages to each other through friends, but is there still a "lack of presence" where she can see my activities (which - lets face it - on Facebook, are deliberately positive all the time!)?
    I know for me when I did the whole "NC" thing I made it a point to only talk to those friends who weren't considered mutual, or at least those friends who didn't talk to her on any regular basis. Seeing the truly mutual friends just makes it awkward and drags up memories that frankly you don't want. Just to make a point, going no contact isn't about making her miss you, which is a common misconception. It is about healing and learning to make decisions not based on emotions but on facts, reality, and a healthy perspective of living a life you enjoy. I'm all for being social, and you should definitely take advantage of every opportunity you have, no matter how much you don't feel like it at times.

I mean this with all honesty and sincerity, if a girl chose another guy over me, then I swear I don't care how much "feelings" I had for her, it is over. There is no going back in my book. I refuse to be a backup plan, and you shouldn't allow yourself this option either. I don't think anyone should. There is a lot of tough love in this thread, and that is understandable. It isn't to demean you or make your feelings unjustifiable. The ultimate goal is to seize the power you have to get up off your butt and refuse defeat... to realize your own self worth, which is obviously much higher than being there for someone who chose another guy over you.

Aug 1, 2013, 05:59 AM
    It's incredible how up and down this makes me feel - good night last night but all of today has been gut-wrenchingly painful - for no apparent reason? I've caved in and left a v/mail for her telling her there is more mail in for her and other things to be collected from the house! This is the most defeatist and helpless I've felt in weeks and I don't understand why when it seemed to be going calmly enough the past 2 weeks? My emotions are so volatile and I'm not used to that. I instantly regretted contacting her! I'm going to try and not let it wipe out how far I've come and I think I'd have had to contact her to sort it soon anyway but I'm going to be hard on myself now and take Facebook out of the picture for another month or so and this time I will keep away from mutual friends and become a hermit lol - that way I can't make things any more bloody difficult on myself - I suppose it comes back to the original question - she cheated so why am I the one interested in trying to save us? I've never felt angry toward her and I haven't said a bad word against her, but this second I am feeling the anger overtake my hurt and I'm no longer prepared to be her victim - but I don't want to do anything stupid to make the situation even worse!
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 06:31 AM
    Our whole lives are spent dealing with reality and what it throws at us, and coping with our own feelings, hopefully in positive ways as you learn and grow. Maybe this is new to you, but it will be repeated several times in your life until your experience and self awareness gets to a higher level.

For now you live through the growing pains. Some learn quicker than others, and seem to deal with the roller coaster of life better, but it never gets easier, you handle it better as you go. You will get there, and be better for it.

Aug 1, 2013, 06:36 AM
    Thanks talaniman - I just don't want to set myself back further! And I don't want to wreck whatever pathetically slim chances there are of reconciliation because I can't keep on top of my feelings! Thank you for your comments - I suppose I haven't done anything catastrophic and all I've done is have a bit of a wobble! I thought it was too good to be true and was finding it a breeze... need to take a deep breath and try to get emotions under wraps a bit better - more work needed!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2013, 07:30 AM
    I always thinks it's not the day to day fall downs that matter. It's the long term. I've been in n/c relationships, trying to heal, and then decided to call for whatever reason - and had to start all over again.

And so that's what I did - I started all over again. Forgave myself and started over.

Aug 1, 2013, 07:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I always thinks it's not the day to day fall downs that matter. It's the long term. I've been in n/c relationships, trying to heal, and then decided to call for whatever reason - and had to start all over again.

And so that's what I did - I started all over again. Forgave myself and started over.
    thanks for that judy - I suppose at least this time I was a bit more composed but still - shouldn't have wasted my energy on it and am kicking myself for it! Ach I'm just kidding myself folks... it doesn't matter what I do - it doesn't bring her back to me! She doesn't care because she's moved on and has other things to think about - its just me that's stuck back here facing the memories every day and going through this pain! I seriously hope this never happens to her - and I'm feeling at this point that I would rather go through this pain than be responsible for inflicting it on someone else (not to be confused with enjoying it! ) my eyes have been open as to just how people can actually be - I've been so naïve! The first 2 months I've been denying that any of this has been voluntary on her part but now when you look at it... reality bites!
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2013, 08:08 AM
    You need to cut yourself some slack, be kinder to yourself.

If a friend came to you and said exactly what you are saying you'd tell the friend to forgive himself/herself.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You're human, doing what humans do.

Aug 1, 2013, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    You need to cut yourself some slack, be kinder to yourself.

If a friend came to you and said exactly what you are saying you'd tell the friend to forgive himself/herself.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You're human, doing what humans do.
    Thank you Judy, you say you've been in n/c relationships? How did that turn out for you if you don't mind me asking?
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2013, 11:21 AM
    No problem - it was a lengthy, painful process. There were times when I considered breaking my own fingers to keep me from texting, calling, writing. As you say, it hurt like h*ll - and then one day I realized he'd done me a favor. The relationship would have gone on and on, back and forth, if he hadn't REALLY made a fatal "mistake."

Some time later I ran into him. He was interested. I no longer was and I had a "what was I thinking?" moment.

I don't know if I changed... or he did.

Aug 2, 2013, 07:17 AM
    Ok - after my capitulation yesterday, I've been confronted by frank, honest advice from friends and family! ACCEPTANCE! Is difficult - and yes, I have been incredibly stubborn! Constantly thinking she is wrong and I'm right and I WILL fix something that she doesn't want to fix - and the reasons she has for this she will not share with me! I have to accept that this has all happened to me and, yes it is $hitty, and yea it is unjust and hurts like hell, but people sometimes do these kinds of things and it happens to millions of people all over the world! My ideals and perception of people will have to change - I always thought good deserves good... but there are answers that I must accept that I'll never get! Now I'm trying to turn this on its head - instead of forcing myself to believe she is coming back and having anxiety attacks when I feel the inevitable getting closer, I must choose ACCEPTANCE that there is no going back and remind myself that, for all the mistakes I've made, it is her that has decided to put me through this - and made me feel like this for whatever reason - and that there is no true hope of her coming back into my arms based on ANYTHING I do or say - and I must learn to control my emotions and not allow false hopes to come to the surface any longer because they are holding me in this purgatory... and I've let them! I cannot choose to simply have good days and this road is going to be hellish and I am fighting tears as I write this - but it can't get any worse than the road I've been on to this point of "realisation". I now understand the tough love on here! Please help me through this someone - I pray every night for strength, guidance, and hope that she will come back to me - that last part is going to have to change I suppose! I will admit that I am terrified that I am turning my back on the real love of my life when it could perhaps all be a huge mistake, but I have to ACCEPT that it might not be, and that it is her decision anyway and I'm powerless to change it! I feel so sad but I think this is the right path?
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2013, 08:50 AM
    Ok - after my capitulation yesterday, I've been confronted by frank, honest advice from friends and family! ACCEPTANCE!! Is difficult - and yes, I have been incredibly stubborn! Constantly thinking she is wrong and I'm right and I WILL fix something that she doesn't want to fix - and the reasons she has for this she will not share with me! I have to accept that this has all happened to me and, yes it is $hitty, and yea it is unjust and hurts like hell, but people sometimes do these kinds of things and it happens to millions of people all over the world! My ideals and perception of people will have to change - I always thought good deserves good...but there are answers that I must accept that I'll never get! Now I'm trying to turn this on its head - instead of forcing myself to believe she is coming back and having anxiety attacks when I feel the inevitable getting closer, I must choose ACCEPTANCE that there is no going back and remind myself that, for all the mistakes I've made, it is her that has decided to put me through this - and made me feel like this for whatever reason - and that there is no true hope of her coming back into my arms based on ANYTHING I do or say - and I must learn to control my emotions and not allow false hopes to come to the surface any longer because they are holding me in this purgatory...and I've let them! I cannot choose to simply have good days and this road is going to be hellish and I am fighting tears as I write this - but it can't get any worse than the road I've been on to this point of "realisation". I now understand the tough love on here! Please help me through this someone - I pray every night for strength, guidance, and hope that she will come back to me - that last part is going to have to change I suppose! I will admit that I am terrified that I am turning my back on the real love of my life when it could perhaps all be a huge mistake, but I have to ACCEPT that it might not be, and that it is her decision anyway and I'm powerless to change it! I feel so sad but I think this is the right path?
    It is possible that she decided to move on because you tend to wrap around one subject for a very long time without letting it go or moving it forward. If you treat every action/reaction/thought/behavior/decision like you have treated this one, then I can see how painful it would be for her or how she might want to move away from you. You can tell us you don't, but based on what I've seen and read I probably wouldn't believe you.

Sometimes crappy things happen to good and bad people. Sometimes you just have to accept it and move on. Honestly dude you would be a tough one to hang around if this is how you react to everything. And I am guessing it is. I would honestly hate to be stuck on any one thing or multiple things for that matter.

Aug 2, 2013, 08:58 AM
    I wouldn't say so Oliver - this is a pretty big, life changing event for me - I maybe analyse and fixate on things a bit much but from what I understand my reactions to all this, albeit protracted, are fairly common and to be expected. On the other hand, if I had no emotions and decided just to deflect and deny my feelings then I think I'd be in a worse place - it might have taken some time, but I have to say, I don't think I'd be able to hang around someone with so little empathy or understanding such as yourself? Maybe our personalities clash but don't worry, I won't be having the same trouble getting over you! ;) She stood by me for 7 and a half years so I can't be all that bad pal!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 2, 2013, 09:03 AM
    I don't think I'd be able to hang around someone with so little empathy or understanding such as yourself?
    Oliver has neatly summed up the situation -- you chew and rechew and re-rechew.

Move forward and stop spinning your wheels.
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2013, 09:04 AM
    My thinking? It never hurts to hope, perhaps even pray (although this is not a religious board) for what we hope will happen, for what we think we need. You also have to be realistic.

Keep walking forward, keep hoping, maybe even keep the door open - but remain realistic. Chances are she is not coming back.

Question - if she calls tomorrow, all apologies, wants to come back - would you take her back? With me, my partner cheated, I could almost accept the cheating. I couldn't get past the lying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My ex boyfriend cheated on me. I want him back from the girl he cheated on me with [ 4 Answers ]

Soo like I love him so much and I've heard such nary things about the girl he cheated on me with I need some ways or ideasto steal the boy I love back and make him want to date me instead of her please help me I'm up for any suggestions

We've Both Cheated, But He's Cheated Multiple Times - Is There Any Hope? [ 5 Answers ]

I have been with my husband for almost 14 years, married for 5 years. He has cheated with random girls multiple times over the years. It has always been like a one night stand type of situation, no side relationship but regardless a definite trust-breaker. In 2010 we lost our second child and he...

He told me he cheated. Now he tells me .he lied and never cheated! [ 11 Answers ]

Ok a month ago my boyfriend had told me he cheated on me! So obviously I broke up with him. And a week ago he told me he never really did cheat on me.. like the girl tried to kiss him but he never answered the kiss. He says he feels guilty from that. And he said he told me he cheated on me to test...

Why is he chasing me? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm in my mid 20's now and reside in Canada...i lived in England from the age of 2 till 8. During the whole time of my childhood there i kept having this recurring dream about running down this alley that was very familiar, one of which looked like one by where i lived in between houses. It seems...

View more questions Search