Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alexcasa35 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2013, 09:18 PM
    I have different due dates in 2 sonograms
    I had irregular periods and couldn't base my due date on that, then my first ultrasound was in January 31 and in the sonogram it showed I was 18 weeks 3 days, the second ultrasound was in March 4 and show I was 20 weeks exactly, now I am confuse and don't know when I'm supposed to be due,I'm worry because I have had 2 induce pregnancies and there's a 4-5 week difference.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 19, 2013, 10:11 PM
    Sonograms aren't exact, they're a best guess based on the growth of the baby. They can be off up to two weeks either way. Your doctor will monitor you, and he/she will know when to suggest induction. Due dates are never a sure thing.

Good luck.

Jun 20, 2013, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Sonograms aren't exact, they're a best guess based on the growth of the baby. They can be off up to two weeks either way. Your doctor will monitor you, and he/she will know when to suggest induction. Due dates are never a sure thing.

Good luck.
    Thank you, I'm just getting impatient but you are right I should trust my doctor.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 20, 2013, 06:02 AM
    I wonder why you think you will need to be induced?

Jun 20, 2013, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I wonder why you think you will need to be induced?
    I had complications at the begging of the pregnancy, one of them being a bacteria in the stomach ( h pylori) and had to take antibiotics and was hospitalized, also had placenta previa which eventually went away but I have had 2 pregnancies and both have been induce and I'm guessing that is why I might think there's no other option.
    Expert

Jun 20, 2013, 06:17 AM
    Just because you were induced for 2 other pregnancies doesn't mean you will have to be induced for this one. Induction is an elective procedure unless you are having complications such as pre-eclampsia (for just one example) late in the pregnancy.

Jun 20, 2013, 06:57 AM
    Just because you were induced for 2 other pregnancies doesn't mean you will have to be induced for this one. Induction is an elective procedure unless you are having complications such as pre-eclampsia (for just one example)
    late in the pregnancy.
    Thank you, I guess I worry too much.
    Expert

Jun 20, 2013, 07:10 AM
    It's okay to worry. That's part of being human, and part of being a mother. You have 2 lives to worry about here, yours and your baby's. It expected and very normal.

alexcasa35, this is what I do for a living. I deliver babies, albeit I am only a nurse, not a doctor.

I do, however, understand your concern. With irregular periods it's hard to determine proper ovulation and conception. However, the growing baby tells the doctor a lot of things by the ultrasound. Every week there are different organs, size of bones, etc that develop. These organs and such develop at virtually the same time for every baby. By that I mean that in week 20 a certain organ develops for every baby, by week 22 other organs develop. So on and so forth. So the ultrasound really reveals a lot to your doctor that would be hard for you to understand.

You also have to trust your pediatrician. Once the baby is born, there are markers such as creases on the soles of the feet, curvature of the ears, etc. that tell the pediatrician how close the OB was to your due date. To the untrained medical person, this can be overwhelming and hard to understand.

I, myself, prior to being a nurse, did not have a period for 2 years. I was told at the age of 27 that I was infertile. 5 months later I woke with braxton-hicks contractions. I found out I was pregnant at 20 weeks and delivered her, due to complications at 36 weeks. The pediatrician did his "tests" and found that my daughter was actually full term at 40 weeks, and she is now a 19 year old college student.

You see, all of pregnancy is nothing more than a guessing game. With irregular periods the guessing is a bit harder until the delivery itself.

If you are interested, I have a video I would like you to watch that may help you with what I have said. It is very straight forward and easy to understand. It might very well help you understand what is going on. Just let me know if you would like the link.

Jun 20, 2013, 07:17 AM
    Thank you for sharing your experience, I'm glad everything turn out great for you and have a daughter, also thank you for sharing the information, I will like to watch the video, thank you!
    Expert

Jun 20, 2013, 07:22 AM
    Everything will work out great for you too.

This video takes about an hour to watch, but you will learn a LOT. It's in layman's terms, not medical terms. I hope it helps you.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Video: Life's Greatest Miracle | Watch NOVA Online | PBS Video
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 20, 2013, 12:46 PM
    Everything will work out great for you too.

This video takes about an hour to watch, but you will learn a LOT. It's in layman's terms, not medical terms. I hope it helps you.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Video: Life's Greatest Miracle | Watch NOVA Online | PBS Video
    J, maybe you should write a thread (sticky) with this video attached. Very good information, and a sticky would give us something to link. Especially those of us that aren't in the business of delivering babies and probably won't ever be able to find this video again. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Due dates [ 1 Answers ]

If I had an u/s at Dec18 5w4d with a due date of August 20 then one on Jan 8 8w4d due date of Aug 20 then on March 4 was told I was 16w2-3d wit a new due date of Aug 16. When did I conceive and which is more accurate? I had sex with my ex early in Nov and he did inside me. Then On Nov 17 I was...

Pregnancy due dates [ 2 Answers ]

So my last perod was October 9 and I went to the doctors to confirm my pregnancy and let me know how many weeks I am, and they tell me my due date is August 17 and that I'm 29 weeks pregnant. If I really am due on August I would be pregnant for 10 months. I also go to different websites to check...

Is Due date , conception dates correct to find out online ? [ 2 Answers ]

Is due dates , conception dates always correct online ?

Determining notes due dates and maturity [ 1 Answers ]

Note (1) Date Dec. 23 Principal Amount $13000 Interest rate 9% Term 1 year Note (2) Date Nov. 30 Principal Amount 12000 Interest rate 12% Term 6 months Note (3) Date Dec. 7 Principal Amount 9000 Interest rate 10% Term 30 days How to I determine the due date and maturity value of each...

Do doctors make mistakes about conception dates and due dates? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't understand, can doctors be wrong about conception dates and due dates?

View more questions Search