Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peggyann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 07:59 PM
    Bipolar and looking to get pregnant
    I am in the starting period of getting pregnant with my 6 th child, one is severely handicapped, which Child of Philly says that may have been a fluke. My latest has a shunt due to hydrocephalus, whew, regardless, lol, we want one more. I take Lamictal which I have weaned myself off, stopped wellbutrin cold turkey about 5 days ago, Then I stopped the zoloft, I feel like I have acid running through my veins, I am so irritable and so agitated. I also get frustrated very easy. No suicide thoughts, crying or actually no depression at all. But I want to stay on the Zoloft. It was like a window opening for me when it first hit my system. The wellbutrin, that to maybe. The lamictal a definite no. But what is your take on zoloft and wellbutrin during pregnancy?
    MBrooms Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Mar 25, 2007, 01:17 PM
    My only question is, you must have a regular doctor since you already have 5 children, so it seems to me, that the logical thing would be to discuss this with your doctor.
    (I am not trying to sound critical, I am just honestly curious)
    Anyway, I found this (Mayo Clinic):

Antidepressants: Are they safe during pregnancy?
    Provided by:
    Last Updated: 02/22/2006

Antidepressants are the first line of treatment for most types of depression. Antidepressants can help relieve your symptoms — and keep you feeling your best. But there's more to the story when you're pregnant or thinking about conceiving. Here's what you need to know about antidepressants and pregnancy.

How does pregnancy affect depression?

Pregnancy hormones were once thought to protect women from depression, but researchers now say this isn't true. In fact, up to 10 percent of women experience depression during pregnancy. Although pregnancy doesn't make depression worse, pregnancy often triggers a range of emotions that can make it more difficult to cope with depression.

Are antidepressants an option during pregnancy?

Few medications have been proved unequivocally safe during pregnancy. Although certain antidepressants have not been linked with an increased risk of birth defects or impaired development — including fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem, others), sertraline (Zoloft) and bupropion (Wellbutrin) — the latest studies aren't necessarily reassuring. As researchers continue to learn more about antidepressants, the risks and benefits of taking the drugs during pregnancy must be weighed carefully on a case-by-case basis.

Are some types of antidepressants safer than others?

So far, bupropion (Wellbutrin) has not been associated with risks to a developing baby. But researchers have identified various risks with other types of antidepressants. For example:

Paxil. Paroxetine (Paxil) has been linked to fetal heart defects when it's taken during the first three months of pregnancy. The benefits of continuing the drug may outweigh the risks for some women, however.
    Other selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Taking SSRIs — including citalopram (Celexa), fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil) and sertraline (Zoloft) — in the last half of pregnancy increases the risk of a rare but serious lung problem known as persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn. This condition occurs when a newborn's circulation system doesn't adapt to breathing outside the womb. Again, the benefits of continuing these drugs sometimes outweigh the risks.
    Tricyclic antidepressants. These older antidepressants — including amitriptyline and nortriptyline (Aventyl, Pamelor) — are generally discouraged during pregnancy in favor of newer, more effective medications. Potential risks of tricyclic antidepressants to a baby may include damage to the central nervous system, physical deformities or developmental delays.

Are there any other risks for the baby?

If you take an SSRI antidepressant throughout pregnancy or during the last trimester, your baby may experience temporary withdrawal symptoms at birth — including tremors, gastrointestinal problems, sleep disturbances and high-pitched cries.

What happens if a woman stops taking antidepressants during pregnancy?

If you stop taking antidepressants during pregnancy, you risk a depression relapse. In fact, pregnant women who stop taking antidepressants are five times more likely to experience a depression relapse than are pregnant women who continue taking the drugs. Stopping an SSRI abruptly may cause various signs and symptoms, including:

Headache
    Nausea and vomiting
    Chills
    Dizziness
    Fatigue
    Insomnia
    Irritability
    Vivid dreams

What's the bottom line?

If you have depression and are trying to conceive or are pregnant, consult your doctor. Sometimes mild depression can be managed with support groups, counseling or other therapies. If your depression is severe or you have a recent history of depression, the risk of relapse may be greater than the risks associated with antidepressants.

It's not an easy decision. Work with your doctor to make an informed choice that gives you — and your baby — the best chance for long-term health.

© 1998-2006 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. A single copy of these materials may be reprinted for noncommercial personal use only. "Mayo," "Mayo Clinic," "MayoClinic.com," "Mayo Clinic Health Information," "Reliable information for a healthier life" and the triple-shield Mayo logo are trademarks of Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Schizophrenia... bipolar? [ 10 Answers ]

Before I go and get myself labelled as schizophrenic or bipolar or whatever, I wanted to have some idea what this sounds like to others... maybe I should just keep this to myself and suffer in silence. I was diagnosed with a dissociative disorder but recently realized that I have been having some...

Bipolar? [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend has bipolar and I'd appreciate some adivce on how to handle it. Lately he has been very emotional. One minute he is happy and the next he is sad. I worry that I cause this emotional roller coaster and I wish that I could help... He has a hard time getting out his emotions and sharing...

Could I be bipolar? [ 4 Answers ]

I know that I suffer from more than one type of depression. I've been like this my whole life and it only gets worse with age. I have lots of depression symptom, I've taking antidepressants. But lately little things have seem to stress me out so much more. I have lots of mood swings several times...

Bipolar I Manic [ 2 Answers ]

:p I worked at the same company for 20 years (very stable person); HOWEVER, I was hit with a 2x4... I'm Bipolar I Manic. I am on meds (last 12 years) which makes me dang near normal :D ; however, I have had two major/severe manic episodes (hospital stays both times). I would like to...

Bipolar [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend that I have been seeing for quite some time now has recently told me that he is in fact bipolar. I did some research online to find out more about it, since I knew very little to begin with. It can be, and is a very serious illness that needs to be dealt with in some form or another....

View more questions Search