Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bwilly Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

Feb 5, 2013, 03:38 PM
    Rotor on 1990 Toyota Corolla
    I need to replace, for the first time, the front rotors on my 1990 Toyota Corolla Sedan. There are two threaded holes in the rotor. I took off the caliper and the torque plate but the rotor will not come off. I don't think that the axle nut has to come off. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank You
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 5, 2013, 05:05 PM
    Those threaded holes are for you to run metric bolts into. I don't recall the thread exactly but I think it's 8x1.25 (don't hold me to it), You thread the bolts in until they become snug. You then tighten them slowly, a little each taking turns. Sometimes it helps to tap the rotor as you tighten them. At some point the rotor should pop loose. Of course, I have had plenty of times where the thread simply pulled out of the rotor due to the rotor being stuck because of too much rust.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2013, 05:11 PM
    The rotor's "hat" has rusted on the hub. Either kick the rotor hard with the heal of your foot, smack it with a 32 oz. ball pein hammer, or screw two M8-1.25x40 cap screws into the two holes you noticed. This will break free the rotor. Before installing the new rotor, lightly coat the hub with grease. Remember to use brake cleaner to clean the cosmoline off the new rotor.
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Feb 5, 2013, 05:23 PM
    Both good tips. I like to spray PB Blaster into the stud area so it soaks between the rotor and hub. Then I rotate the rotor 180 and shoot it again so the liquid gets in the other side. Then try the metric bolts (also had the same experience as TX where the threads strip). You may have to destroy the old rotor with hammer to get it off.

Most important part of this job is cleaning the rust off the hub. If you don't you'll introduce lateral runout that causes rotor "warp." Read the post below

Eliminate rotor warp
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 08:50 AM
    If you're going to be replacing the brake rotors, first thing is to remove the caliper and frame.
    Then clean the hub surface where the rotor rides and then with a sufficient persuader (hammer) stike the back of the rotor while turning slowly and 'walk' the rotor off the hub.
    Finish cleaning the hub mating surface thoroughly so the replacement rotor will fit smooth and flush.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

94 toyota corolla turn off when I use AC [ 1 Answers ]

When I drive I use the ac but when I stop and the ac is on my car stalls if am parked I turn on the ac and the car stalls

2003 toyota corolla [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the airconditioning fuse located?

2003 toyota corolla a /c [ 5 Answers ]

Ok I have this a/a problem Sometimes cold Sometimes its not cold Sometimes the clutch works Sometimes its not working Any one help Email me if you can help me out [email protected]

2003 toyota corolla [ 3 Answers ]

:D hello. any idea what the problem could be if the radio went out on my car and I thought it was the fuse and now the car starts fine, but the radio, clock, airconditioner, clock, power windows, nor the shift lock will work? 2003 toyota corolla

Toyota Corolla 05 - HELP [ 1 Answers ]

How do you change the dip beams on o 05 corolla?

View more questions Search