Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    benzhp37 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2012, 10:06 AM
    Can you collect legal fees from eviction case in Georgia
    Can you collect legal fees from eviction case in Georgia - I saw something saying if there is eviction and no response to dispossery notice then landlord gets all related cost to evictions?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 10:19 AM
    Yes, you normally get a judgment to include an award of your "court costs" if you prevail in any lawsuit. But that's not the same as you lawyer bill.

Dec 15, 2012, 11:56 AM
    Thanks AK

Dec 15, 2012, 11:56 AM
    Anyone know of average legal bill for evictions?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 12:27 PM
    Why not ask several lawyers in your area how much it might cost? They will probably say, depending on may factors including whether defendant contests it, whether the judge is in a good mood, etc. that's the minimum and it might go more, but that will give you an average.

Dec 15, 2012, 12:35 PM
    I have they have not responded yet; meeting 1 on Monday - but I have too much time on my hands and formulating a monetary strategy based upon possible outcomes
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 08:58 PM
    About 400 to 500 if they don't have to appear in court. About 1000 if they do.

Now with that, don't expect to actually get the money. You merely win the judgement against them. Almost never do you actually get paid the money you win, you just win it.
    If they actually had money, they would not be evicted.

Dec 16, 2012, 04:20 AM
    Not sure about that last point - they have money for booze/smokes on a daily basis

Dec 16, 2012, 04:21 AM
    But thank you very much
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2012, 04:23 AM
    The majority of most judgements are never collected, you win in court but never get your money anyway. To get your money, you will have to find their bank accounts and/or find their job and garnish it. And hope it is not already being garnished to the max by child support or others.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim my H1B Legal/attorney Fees and Government process fees. If yes, I have to [ 1 Answers ]

Can I claim my H1B Legal/attorney Fees and Government process fees. If yes, I have to travel out side the USA to stamp the visa, Is the travel expenses (Air Ticket, Hotel, application fees0 are deductible as well? Please let me know.

Legal fees more than back rent in eviction from mh park in California [ 6 Answers ]

I have a friend who is disabled (finally won Social Security award after 20 mos) and became behind on her mobile home space rent. She recently went to court, and of course the judge awarded the mh park a judgement in the amount of $3081.55, of which $444.00 was court costs and $500.00 was attorney...

How to file a motion for legal fees in NYS in a child support case [ 2 Answers ]

I need to file a motion for an award of my legal fees in my child support case in NYC. This is in Family Court, before a magistrate. I am now representing myself as I could no longer afford my attorney. I haven't received the final decision on the child support, yet. But it has been over 6...

View more questions Search