Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Savedbygrace7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2012, 03:17 PM
    Finance question
    The question basically gives you three investments for you to consider when investing 10,000. The first question asks you to calculate the value of each investment based on your required rate of return. I'm pretty sure I have the values for the first two investments correct, but I'm struggling with the third investment, described as follows:

Emerson Electric common stock selling for $36.75, with a par value of $5. The stock recently paid a $1.32 dividend and the firm's earnings per share has increased from $1.49 to $3.06 in the past five years. The firm expects to grow at the same rate for the foreseeable future. Required rate of return is 15 percent.

Here's what I've come up with:
    Eps growth rate = (3.06/1.49)^1/5 -1
    = 2.05369^1/5 -1
    = 1.15480 - 1
    = 15.48%

Value = $1.32 x (1 + .1548) / (.15 - .1548)
    = 1.52434 / -.00480
    = -317.57

Is this the correct value? If so, should it be written as a poitive instead of a negative? Also, does this make the stock worth investing in?
    Thank you!
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Nov 6, 2012, 05:04 AM
    SBG7, you've done everything technically correct, computationally (nice job). However, this one illustrates why the constant growth model requires that k > g, for required rate of return k and constant growth rate g.

In this case, the supplied information implies that the firm's earnings (EPS, or asset returns) will grow indefinitely at a rate exceeding the required cost of capital. That's why the model is returning a nonsensical negative value; note that if g > k, then the denominator will be negative.

Either your text is trying to trip you with a curve ball, or there's some mis- or missing-information somewhere. Re-examine the background info carefully, and check back in.

Note, however, that the current share price is already provided, and that's presumably what you're trying to solve for. This suggests the market is expecting a lower growth rate for Emerson going forward, than the one implied by the recent EPS growth. So again, look back over the problem carefully to see what exactly they're asking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finance Question [ 1 Answers ]

Find the ending balance in an account that opens with $3,000, earns 4.5% interest compounded quarterly, and is held for 20 years. (Round your answer to the nearest cent.) I used A=P(1 ti)N = 3,000(1 o.01125) = 4693.13. (which is wrong. Please show me how you arrived with your answer. I have a...

Finance question [ 0 Answers ]

Stevenson Interiors of Kingston has a $67,500 liability they must pay four years from today. The Company is opening a savings account so that the entire amount will be available when this debt needs To be paid. The plan is to make an initial deposit today and then deposit an additional $10,000...

Finance question? [ 4 Answers ]

Culver Inc. has earnings after interest but before taxes of $300. The company's times interest earned ratio is 7.00. Calculate the company's interest charges.

Finance question here too [ 0 Answers ]

Which of the following statements regarding calculating a firm's cost of capital is correct ? Answer a. if a company's beta increases, this will increase the cost of equity financing b. since retained earnings are readily available, the cost of retained earnings is generally lower than...

View more questions Search