Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bruster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 07:57 PM
    Murry Riding Mower Charging System
    I replaced my battery in my 13.5 hp Murry riding mower. I got two starts on it and the battery died. I had the battery tested and it was good. I was told the starting solenoid would not be the problem. The battery is not getting recharged. The key is in the off position, my lights are not draining the battery. I was looking to see if the alternator is bad, but I don't think this engine has one according to the manual? Any other suggestions?
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Mar 8, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Get a v12-Volt test meter and check your battery for 12+ volts not running. Then start the engine (you can jump with auto) and check voltage to see if it is higher 13-14-Volts.

The battery's available tend to be poor quality and is not unusual to have a new one fail. (new being 8 months or less)
    Bruster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Right on, thanks for the tip. I did get a tester and I had the battery tested for a second time at a different place and the battery was good. I installed the battery and when I connected the posts, I looked at the terminal leads and the POS had some acid corrosion on it. I cleaned it up and connected the battery then put meter to it. It showed 12+ V. I started the mower (without boost from auto), then checked meter; it read 13+ V. Everything is working great. Thanks for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

97 Nissan Sentra starting/charging system problems [ 1 Answers ]

I am having some problem with a 97 Nissan Sentra starting and charging system. It first would not start but would get lights on the dash, so I had the battery and alternator tested both on and off the car. They both tested bad (12.9 volts output on the alt), so I replaced the battery and got an...

Briggs 12 hp riding mower [ 1 Answers ]

I has a problem with a defective float needle and I bought a carb repari kit. Everything went OK except I am having trouble adjusing the carb to run without having to have the choke partially open. I see a float needle adj and an adjustment on top of the carb. Anyone have a manual or instruction...

1993 Mazda MPV charging system [ 3 Answers ]

MPV, 3.0L V6. Had an issue with the charge light and fuel light coming on at the same time (gas tank half full). Voltage at the battery with engine running was 11.3 volts. Replaced the alternator and everything was fine, voltage showed 14.0 volts. Went for a short drive and charge and fuel...

I need help with my riding mower. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Bolens model 660 riding mower. It's 4 years old. Last week I tried starting it but had problems. It sounded like the battery was dead, so I went buy a brand new one. Hooked it up and now it does absolutely nothing and it is stuck in gear. I cannot get it in neutral for some reason. So this...

Riding lawn mower [ 6 Answers ]

I have 1/2 acre of lawn and wish to replace an old Craftsman mower. Sears advertises a 17-HP Kohler Pro engine, 42 inch lawn tractor for $1200.00. Is this a good value, and do you recommend Craftsman lawn tractors? Thanks!

View more questions Search