Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BruJan Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2012, 11:41 AM
    Brake pad wear
    My 2002 Buick LeSabre just had the front brake pads replaced for the second time. One of the interior ceramic pads was entirely gone with the other three still 40 or 50% good. Obviously one of the calipers was not retracting completely. The mechanic gave me a stuff happens answer but not a specific problem or a guarantee that it would not happen again. Anyone have a good explanation and a recommendation for future brake care?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2012, 02:54 PM
    . Lubricate the caliper pins with silicone grease--this is a must.

. Change the brake fluid every 2 to 3 years.

. Use Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic Brake Pads, which come with a lifetime warranty.

The caliper pins likely were not removed, cleaned, and lubricated with silicone grease. Caliper pistons can also freeze in the bore, if the fluid is not regularly changed. Finally, pads need to be able to freely move in the caliper bracket. If they bind, they need to be ground or filed to fit properly. All corrosion needs to be removed from the caliper brackets and the shims cleaned. Pad friction points need to be lubricated with Squeak Relief or 3M Antiseize and Brake Lube.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 12, 2012, 04:17 PM
    The caliper could be bad but I have found that about 75% of the time, it is related to what TxGreaseMonkey said. Caliper pins and slides often get rusted or gummed up and don't allow the caliper or pads to move freely.
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Aug 12, 2012, 04:47 PM
    Exactly what the other guys said, but here's a link to see pictures of what corroded calipers pins look like

Sticking brake caliper

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Do you like wear indian ethnic wear dress? [ 3 Answers ]

I belong to India and only follow latest Indian tradition fashion.

How to adjust brake light sensitvity at brake pedal -Dodge ram 2002 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. My brake lights come on sometimes after I have left vehicle. I can force them off by pulling up on brake pedal or wedging something behind pedal. It kills my batteries when it goes un-noticed. Is this an adjustment? Or do I need to replace the brake switch? I have looked (awkward to get at)...

Can you spray water on the to of a lilly pad tokill the lilly pad? [ 1 Answers ]

Can you kill lilly pads by having a continuous water spray on the surface of th lilly pad?

Changed 2000 camry brake light switch, but still will not shift and no brake lights [ 1 Answers ]

My sons 2000 Camry stopped shifting, no brake lights and no cruise control. I changed out the brake light switch, but it still does not work? Any ideas, please. Thanks

Mondeo brake pad service light prob [ 1 Answers ]

>:(I hope some one can help me I have a 1996 ford mondeo 2.5 V6 ghia x. The problem I have is that the brake pad service light on the dash stays on when I have changed the pads all round, changed the brake fluid through the system, I have checked the float in the brake resivor that is OK, all...

View more questions Search