Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momma86 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2012, 09:35 PM
    After parvo
    My lab/rotti mix has been fighting parvo for the past 8 days he was finally on the mend but now he refuses to drink on his own, his last day of subQ fluids was Friday. Is that normal? He also will only eat treats and his own poop on his own which I know isn't good for the chance of him reinfecting himself with parvo again. What should I do to get him to eat (other than treats) and drink on his own? Im just getting frustrated and beginning to feel like I'm doing something wrong!! Please help
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 11:59 AM
    You'll need to keep that poop cleaned up, parvo virus is very hardy and will live in the soil for months to years risking any unvaccinated dog that comes onto your property, in some cases even vaccinated dogs are at risk.
    Eating is not usually a problem for parvo puppies once they are feeling better.
    It sounds as if he may not be feeling that great which is understandable considering what parvo does to the body.
    But, he does need to eat.
    As far as drinking goes try some gatorade or pedialyte, it will help to replace fluids and electrolytes.
    I would definitely give the vet in charge of his care a call first thing in the morning they will be your best source because they will have access to his history during this illness.
    Were you given a special diet from the clinic for him to begin eating when we felt well enough to eat?
    A bland diet is best for his healing digestive tract.
    What have you tried so far?
    Stay away from people food, his gut won't be able to handle it and it's not good for him anyway.
    You could try boiled chicken or hamburger with rice, no fat no skin, no bones no seasoning and drain off the fat. (I know it's people food, but to pull a dog through a tough time it is fine)
    While you are on the phone with your vet tomorrow ask if a prescription diet that is high in calories would be recommended for him, they should have some at the clinic that you could purchase.

Treatment

This site may help you to understand a little more about parvo.

And her is some info on clean up.

Shelter Medicine : Canine Parvovirus : ASPCA Professional
    momma86 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2012, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    You'll need to keep that poop cleaned up, parvo virus is very hardy and will live in the soil for months to years risking any unvaccinated dog that comes onto your property, in some cases even vaccinated dogs are at risk.
    Eating is not usually a problem for parvo puppies once they are feeling better.
    It sounds as if he may not be feeling that great which is understandable considering what parvo does to the body.
    But, he does need to eat.
    As far as drinking goes try some gatorade or pedialyte, it will help to replace fluids and electrolytes.
    I would definitely give the vet in charge of his care a call first thing in the morning they will be your best source because they will have access to his history during this illness.
    Were you given a special diet from the clinic for him to begin eating when we felt well enough to eat?
    A bland diet is best for his healing digestive tract.
    What have you tried so far?
    Stay away from people food, his gut won't be able to handle it and it's not good for him anyway.
    You could try boiled chicken or hamburger with rice, no fat no skin, no bones no seasoning and drain off the fat. (I know it's people food, but to pull a dog through a tough time it is fine)
    While you are on the phone with your vet tomorrow ask if a prescription diet that is high in calories would be recommended for him, they should have some at the clinic that you could purchase.

Treatment

This site may help you to understand a little more about parvo.

And her is some info on clean up.

Shelter Medicine : Canine Parvovirus : ASPCA Professional
    Thank you so much for the info. We have tried the chicken,rice,hamburger, and the vet gave me a case of food for him too eat that is high in fat. He won't eat any of it. However tosay he is drinking once again and so far we stumbled upon him eating canned tuna fish which I know isn't the best thing for him but I'm just glad he is eating something. He goes to the vet tomorrow for a follow up visit so I will see what she reccommends for him :) thanks again for the info
    web1894 Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Jul 30, 2012, 08:39 AM
    I went through parvo too with my pup.. It's awful I'm glad yours pulled through. I gave my dog an easy to digest wet food from pet smart she seemed to take to it well.. I also was advised by their staff to give her a GNC product for pups called High calorie booster (Its in a white tube with green writing) It's a paste too so its easy to mix with their food or you can give it to them straight from the tube. My dog loved it and it helped her gain her weight back.. I actually gave it to her even after she started eating good just because she was so tiny.. Parvo is tough to go through even after they are better. Best wishes to you and your pup! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the signs when a parvo puppy needs to be put down, and is parvo painful [ 37 Answers ]

I Just had to put down our new boxer puppy and we think he either had Parvo or hook worms. We are devastated and are looking into getting a new baby but we want to do it safely. I am trying to figure out which one it was. Before we put him down he was crying like he was in terrible pain and it was...

Parvo [ 2 Answers ]

How you know when parvo is gone and if we caught it time there no blood in stool

Parvo [ 3 Answers ]

Has anyone had a dog with parvo... my new basset hound puppy has it we just found out today the breeder say that she didn't get it from there but we have only had the dog for 8 days and well she got sick on Saturday night. Also I have 2 other dogs at the house that aren't sick with parvo and one...

View more questions Search