Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ws327971 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2012, 07:40 PM
    Girlfriend broke up with me.
    Hey guys, so my girlfriend of a year and a half just broke up with me. She said she lost feelings for me but still loves me. She says she wants to be friends but I know I just can't settle for less.

But the main reason She claims she broke up with me is that when I express my feelings and problems (which she encourages me to do) that I'm bringing her down and making her feel guilty. I know I've had my faults. But I've been there for her through all her problems and never judged her once. I thought relationships were about supporting each other no matter what.

I don't know if I can ever get her back... but more importantly I don't quite know how to just move one. It's just not as easy as "getting over it".
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2012, 04:09 PM
    Sorry you are going through this, but unfortunately there is no easy way other than time. Do your best to keep busy with other areas of your life. Spend time with family and friends, focus on work or school. Maybe step out and try something new that you have been wanting to do. The point is, the more that you focus on other things, the less you will be dwelling on the break-up.

You will have some good days and some bad days, but eventually the good days will grow in number.

If being friends would just be too difficult, don't do it. No sense in postponing your healing. You could simply tell her that you prefer no contact as it is just too difficult as you try to move on.

Consider that she may be a nice person, but she was unable to "be there" to support you when you had problems to share, and that is likely not the sort of relationship you want to be in.

Time really does heal... take care of yourself and give yourself that time.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 17, 2012, 04:51 PM
    You are righ, there is more to it than just getting over her, or just moving on. Basically it involves doing the very hard work of leaving her alone, and rebuild, and regrouping a life that makes you happy without her in it.

Here are ways that others have approached this same problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My girlfriend and I broke up. [ 3 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I broke up. It's was out of the blue. One day we were looking at houses planning our future and two days later she broke up. She has two kids that aren't mine but I love them as if they were. They don't know their dads so I was their dad. She's telling everyone that I couldn't...

Girlfriend broke up with me but ! [ 3 Answers ]

Hey you guys, what's up! So here is the thing. My girlfriend and I been dating for a whole year now. We had lots and lots of fun, romantic nights, and happy relationship. Yes we had some argues and stuff, its normal in any healthy relationship ! But we truly love each other. She lives with me...

Not sure if my girlfriend broke up with me or not? [ 28 Answers ]

We've been together for a year next Sunday, and she is away at school (8 hours away) so 8 months of that has been long distance. When we are together, our relationship is out of this world and we are just so connected and have the most amazing time together. But long distance, is not where I do my...

My girlfriend broke up with me because she needs to be by herself? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 17 and my ex girlfriend is 15. I know you probely think this is just some stupid teenage love thing but I assure you it isn't. We had been going out for over 13 months. She broke up with me about half week ago and it's tearing me apart. She assures me there is no other guys and I believe...

Girlfriend broke up with me again. [ 1 Answers ]

Me and me ex-gf have almost been together for 2 1/2 years and last week she wanted to end it. We've been having a long distance relationship for a year now and she just moved to a town that's closer. I figured it would be a lot easier but I was wrong. It's been a bit rocky because she had been...

View more questions Search