Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    g.peterrichards Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2012, 05:57 PM
    Bubbles (again), this time in self leveling underlayment.
    Coincidentally, a week ago, I used a "self-leveling" mix on a bathroom floor. Concrete was used first to bring the floor up to within an inch of where we needed it to be. The next day, it appeared that all was well. The day AFTER that, I walked into the bathroom and saw a big bubble in the middle of it all. An air pocket... but why? Has anyone else encountered this? Probably the same reason as the concrete bubble?
    G.P.R.
    Chris_Klein Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Mar 7, 2012, 06:07 AM
    Use a poke vibrator to ensure all air pockets have been removed. The density of your concrete was probably too low use an Ad-mixture to get the same strength and workability at lower water: cement ratio.
    g.peterrichards Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Mar 7, 2012, 10:25 AM
    This pour was very small... maybe 3/4" - 1". I didn't think a poke vibrator would be necessary for such a small job. By density being too low means there wasn't enough water in my concrete mix? Would you please clarify what you meant by too low? It wasn't dense enough?
    Chris_Klein Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Mar 7, 2012, 10:30 PM
    When concrete cures its core temperature rises.. this would heat up water molecules in the concrete mix more rapidly than the aggregate. Water molecules would rise to the surface and evaporate causing bubbles in the concrete. You could use a retarder to increasing curing time thus lowering concrete curing temperature but this is a little extreme for a surface bed. I suggest using less water in your mix.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to use for underlayment? [ 5 Answers ]

I remember back in the 70s and 80s, 5/8" particle board was the underlayment of choice for carpeted areas in new construction. Does anyone know if this is still the best choice over a 3/4" T&G subfloor? Thanks

Level quik self-leveling underlayment mixed wrong how do I fix [ 1 Answers ]

Had someone mix level quik self-leveling underlayment with a stick!! He laid it out then painted over it by the time I found out he didn't use a high speed mixer the paint of course had bubbled up. How do I fix or get up all of the self-leveling underlayment or can I pour something over this to...

Underlayment for linoleum [ 6 Answers ]

Is 1/4" OSB OK for underlayment for linoleum

Tile without underlayment? [ 3 Answers ]

We have an old, 12” x 12” linoleum tile floor in the kitchen. The floor has many missing/broken tiles, raised bumps and depressions here and there and a bare piece of plywood covering an old heat register. My Mother is insisting that we can simply tile right over WITHOUT new underlayment. We go...

View more questions Search