Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RaRa247 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2007, 07:16 PM
    As an Aunt, do I have any rights?
    Hello,

I am the aunt of a wonderful little boy who is 18 months old. Sadly, my brother, who is his father, passed away almost one year ago. For the last year, it has been a struggle to see my nephew on a regular basis without dealing with arguments or harassment from his mother. Going back, his mother and our family have never been on good terms due to hers and my brothers criminal behavior. Since my brothers suicide, our relationship has worsened. I have seen the baby on a handful of occasions. I have offered to pay for diapers and formula and wipes so that I can have an excuse to see him. I have no problem with this, however, now the conditions have escalated to us (my family) not being able to see him without taking his mothers other children (no relation to me) too. Also, we are no longer allowed to give him gifts unless we have also purchased gifts for her other kids. I feel like this is unfair. We do not have very much money but we make up for that with love. I would like to know if, as an aunt, do I have any rights for regular visitation so that I could avoid the drama that surrounds a visit. I live in CA. I feel that she is ultimately trying to wear us down so that we will cease contact, but I just couldn't abandon him.

Thank You,

Loving Auntie
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 16, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Unfortunately, you have no standing. Your parents (the grandparents) may have some standing to force visitation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2007, 07:53 PM
    And the new "rules" are actually not that uncommom in similar situations,

Wish they were not but we dealt with the same, and of course now have several newphews that are no relationship that we also love just as much.

You could be the only "sane and normal" person these others kids may get to know in their earily years if their mother has legal issues.

Not saying it is right, but that perhaps this is indeed a great opportunity also.

If you get lemons, make lemonaide

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Need to know how to get custody of my nephew from an unfit aunt? [ 3 Answers ]

My brother had a son by a lady, that died 4years ago, her sister has guardenship, because the mother had the baby in prison( brother didn't know about the baby then). The mother got out jail got herself together, and the kid moved back in with the mother. Mother never got guardenship back from...

Aging aunt [ 6 Answers ]

My aunt is 89 and acting up in her condo--told the desk clerk her great-grandchild had been kidnapped. She lives with her daughter and there's a love/hate relationship. She doesn't want an aide to sit with her while her daughter is at work, nor does she want to go to a home. How can we convince...

View more questions Search