Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpray2007 Posts: 319, Reputation: 23

Nov 2, 2011, 11:52 AM
    Should one under-correct a child's prescription?
    Both my kids (ages 11 & 13) have pretty bad vision (in the low -4's) and it's gotten progressively worse. The optometrists have always recommended that we under-prescribe since it will hopefully "force" their eyes to work - but this doesn't seem to be working - in addition to leaving our kids with difficulty seeing the board when they sit in the back. So we're rethinking this but want to understand what the recommendation is based on research.

We've looked for research to support this approach but are coming up empty and, indeed, the new approach seems to not under-correct. Any one have experience with this either way? If you do have an opinion, can you please provide some studies (or your expertise) that might support it?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 2, 2011, 02:16 PM
    I can understand the 'forcing' the eyes to work, and it won't be an instant fix. Childrens' physical characteristics as well as internal are changing all the time until they reach, say, l8 or l9, even 20. I am sure you understand that aspect of a problem like this.

Of course you won't find research to support this because you are not privy to all opthamological journals, and I assure you this is a very tight medical field and not very much available to the public. I realized this while trying to research my son's problem, until he became old enough to try himself, and we found absolutely nothing to support recommendations.

I know this doesn't necessarily answer your question or give you insight. I found a lot of brick walls in this field too.

My advice is go with the recommendations and have your children moved up closer to the board if possible.

I enrolled my son years ago in a private school with smaller classrooms to absolve the problem of not being able to see the board; of course computers took over that problem later on. He is now 29, and completely happy with his vision, no problems in school or unversity with vision problems.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my prescription right for me [ 9 Answers ]

I recently had my spectacles made online, however when I received them the lenses seemed rather thick I did enquire about this and found that they had made up the whole prescription in one go, the prescription was for distance with reading glasses as well surely they should have known to keep the...

Matching up the correct capacitor with the correct condenser fan motor? [ 4 Answers ]

How crucial is it to match the right capacitor to the right condenser fan motor? If you have the wrong capacitor, can this cause the motor to stop after running for a while, say 20 or 40 minutes? It would start up again, but would allways stop. The specs for the motor are: Emerson E-line, model no...

Old Prescription [ 2 Answers ]

I have medication, I do not know if it matters what kind but it is cyclobenzaprine, which is a muscle relaxer. How long is the pills good for? I will defiantly double check with my pharmacist, but would like to know if anybody here as any idea. The script I got was in July/08. I pretty much...

New prescription [ 7 Answers ]

Is it possiable my script to change this much over 2 years Old one Sph cly axis Od +100 -100 110 Os -100 -50 75 New one Od +75 +100 25

If the correct answer is May cgs, $15,500 how is the answer correct need to see work [ 1 Answers ]

P23-A The budget committee of Vinning office supply Co. Has assembled the following data. As the business manager, you must prepare the budgeted income statements for May and Jun 2006. A. Sales in April were $42,100.. You forecast that monthly sales will increase 2.0% in May and 2.4% in June.

View more questions Search