Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nadyatk Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Feb 6, 2007, 09:49 AM
    Need some tips from more experienced people
    Hi there,

After a few years of studying and travelling abroad as an au-pair in Germany and UK altogether 3 years, I'm about to start a 'proper job' (hopefully) in my feeld of study (Finance/Accounting).

The problem is- I'm ashamed to admit that am a bit scared. I know I'm clever and everything I've done by now (au-pairing and some teaching when younger) I did quite well, but still... I just don't want to appear dumm, but I think it's inevitable considering my lack of experience.

What do you think I should do, how can I overcome it!
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Feb 6, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Do you think the folks you will be working with started experienced?
    They started in the same shoes you where wearing 3 years ago, and over those 3 years you might not have gained much in your major but look at the world view you can bring to the party.
    What should you do? Face up to starting at the bottom like all but bosses kids]
    Do, Pay attention and do not sweat the details.
    A quote from Dune that I love and you might also is
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    gypsy456 Posts: 319, Reputation: 48

Apr 5, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nadyatk
    Hi there,

after a few years of studying and travelling abroad as an au-pair in Germany and UK alltogether 3 years, I'm about to start a 'proper job' (hopefully) in my feeld of study (Finance/Accounting).

The problem is- I'm ashamed to admit that am a bit scared. I know I'm clever and everything i've done by now (au-pairing and some teaching when younger) I did quite well, but still.... I just don't want to appear dumm, but i think it's inevitable considering my lack of experience.

What do you think I should do, how can I overcome it!
    Being dumb has nothing to do with not having experience...
    Experience you gain only in life by doing things, failing at it, doing even more and trying... it's called life.
    It is perfectly OK to be scared... every person is scared for new things.
    You are only human.

You have traveled and that in itself is an incredible experience.

Fear for the unknown is often the biggest fear.

I think you will be just fine.

Good luck !
    nadyatk Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Apr 27, 2007, 11:44 AM
    Thank you guys so much! Ofcurse you're both right- it's nice that there are people out there who are ready to help and reasure. It's funny how we get insecure sometimes :o
    Thanks again
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2007, 12:16 PM
    I had serous fear every time I started a new job, I would never let it show, but I would be terrified. I think most people are. You go in, listen and learn.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tips for getting over an ex [ 24 Answers ]

So what would you say are some good tips for getting over an ex? Also, is there ever any chance for your ex wanting you back? If you stay as your ex's friend while he has a girlfriend is there a chance that you would become the rebound if your ex and his girlfriend broke up? Just wondering....

Rose tips [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to fine out how you use the new rose tip? I saw someone use it once but I never saw how they took the rose off the tip. If someone could please answer this question I would be very happy. Thank You, Linda

Has any one ever experienced this? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 1 week past ovulation and I am experiencing some nausea and also I have got and yeast infection (sorry to be so blunt). I have never had one before and I just wonder if that could be a sign of pregnancy or if any one has ever had this happen to them.

How much do tips [ 4 Answers ]

What is the right amount to tip a hair stylist? :o

View more questions Search