Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quiness1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2011, 02:22 PM
    Please Help, overseas Money/Gift transfer, UK to US..
    I am a US resident/citizen and my friend wishes to gift me 100k. He was a US resident but has been living in the UK for the past 8 years. From my understanding, he never renounced his US citizenship. What is the BEST way to go about receiving this 100k gift? What are the tax implications?

Any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated, Thank you for your time
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2011, 03:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by quiness1 View Post
    What are the tax implications?
    Hello q:

Have him write you a check.. You'll have to pay income taxes on the money.

But, there's more to it than that, isn't there.. He wants YOU to send him some money FIRST, then you can have yours... Am I close?

excon
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 2, 2011, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello q:

Have him write you a check.. You'll have to pay income taxes on the money.

But, there's more to it than that, isn't there.. He wants YOU to send him some money FIRST, then you can have yours... Am I close?

excon
    I don't know why someone would give up there US citizenship voluntarily. If you do give up your rights you forfeit your benefits such as SSI. Coming back to the US every six months may be tedious and I guess from EU expensive, but why would someone do that voluntarily?

Exxy, you are probably right again.

Tick
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 2, 2011, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello q:

excon
    I thought this too but then got confused. Are the scammers also being hit by the poor economy and they can't even afford to offer huge fake amounts any more? Usually their amounts are over $250,000.

Sep 2, 2011, 04:45 PM
    Excon,
    Thanks for your reply but I'm not sure what you mean by, "But, there's more to it than that, isn't there.. He wants YOU to send him some money FIRST, then you can have yours... Am I close?"
    Why would I have to pay income taxes on a gift? Are these special tax regulations in the UK?
    The money is completely legitimate and already taxed on the UK end, its simply a matter of what's the best method of receiving these funds to eliminate or minimize any tax burden.
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2011, 04:58 PM
    its simply a matter of whats the best method of receiving these funds to eliminate or minimize any tax burden.
    Hello again, q:

We get a lot of people who have been scammed here, and their story's are similar to yours... Glad I was wrong..

HOW you receive the funds doesn't make them taxable or not.. Just the fact that you RECEIVED them makes them taxable, IF they are indeed taxable.. I think you have to pay gift taxes on the money, no matter what taxes have already been paid. I'm happy to be wrong.

excon
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 2, 2011, 05:07 PM
    There is a US UK tax treaty on gift tax and it is explained here; if you can't access this link here then go to US UK tax treaty in Google

Uniset.ca/misc/us-uk1980.html

Sep 2, 2011, 05:13 PM
    Thanks Excon,
    From my understanding I a person can give or receive a $13k gift tax free and would be liable to pay taxes on anything over, is this correct? Is there a way to not pay taxes on the gift? And what do you mean when you said, "IF they are indeed taxable"?

Sep 2, 2011, 05:18 PM
    Thank you tickle for the reference...
    I am new to this forum, is there a way to send private messages or is everything public?
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2011, 05:24 PM
    "IF they are indeed taxable"?
    Hello again, q:

I'm a LEGAL expert. I thought you were being scammed, that's why I answered. I'm NOT a tax expert. What I gave you was my OPINION, which is why I qualified it. We have some tax experts here, and I'll bet they'll be along to answer your question. But, I wouldn't argue with what you came up with.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 2, 2011, 06:20 PM
    They would need to send you smaller amounts over many years , so it is not considered a gift. But bank wire transfer is the safest way, to send larger sums of money

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overseas Money Transfer/Gift [ 50 Answers ]

I am employed in the US but not a US citizen. My mother, who is not a US citizen either and lives overseas, would like to gift me money by sending it as a wire transfer from her account overseas to mine in the US. Assuming the amount is between US $50K - $100K, what would be my IRS Tax...

To transfer money from overseas [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm working in Denmark and want to send some money back to India through Wire Transfer to ICICI bank. Please let me know what is the maximum limit up to which the money can be sent. Are there any taxes to be paid and what is the percentage of tax after the max. limit. Thanks

Overseas money transfer [ 3 Answers ]

My wife is a British citizen and would like to wire transfer some ($80K) money from her UK account to US bank account. What does she owe the IRS? Are there any forms I need to file with IRS? She is a resident alien and we file jointly for tax purposes.

View more questions Search